SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-03-14, 03:10 PM   #1
Alexander94

Default Which fork oil weight to use?

Hi,
My fork oil seals need replacing on my curvy and I'm going to be doing them myself (I've done engine rebuilds and basically everything else on a bike in the past so please no "don't tackle it yourself" stuff haha)

I've tried looking around to find out what oil weight to go for but haven't found an answer... I'm over 6ft and about 16st so I thought that 15w is what I'd need but I'd rather be sure before investing in the oil :P

I've found 1L of castrol 15w for £10.20 with free postage so that seems like the best thing to go for

Thanks in advance for any advice you lovely forum people!!
Old 07-03-14, 04:15 PM   #2
MJC-DEV

Default Re: Which fork oil weight to use?

Have a search on here as there is lots of 'what folk oil?' information. Basically match the oil weight to your fork springs (and emus if fitted) not your body weight. Usually OEM springs = OEM fork oil (10W).
Old 07-03-14, 07:30 PM   #3
Alexander94

Oh right. I thought it was denser oil for a heavier rider...
I don't have any history on the bike so I'm going to presume that it's on the original springs.

Would putting 15w oil in effect it in a bad way?
Old 07-03-14, 07:47 PM   #4
Alexander94

Also, mineral or synthetic? I don't think I'll be able to reap the benefits of high performance oil or whatever so all I'm thinking is going for the cheapest. I know that's not always best but my budget is tight, hence why I'm doing it myself :P
Old 08-03-14, 07:37 AM   #5
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Default Which fork oil weight to use?

15W oil will be OK on standard springs, but suitable springs for your weight would clearly be a good purchase.
In this circumstance, you'll be hard pressed to tell the difference between mineral, synthetic or Spry Crisp and Dry.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"

Last edited by Sid Squid; 08-03-14 at 07:39 AM.
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-14, 10:16 AM   #6
Alexander94

Thanks very much for the advice sid
Old 08-03-14, 07:16 PM   #7
MJC-DEV

I tried 15W oil and really hated it - it made the front front end very harsh and uncomfotable - may have worked on smooth race track but not every day roads - the ultimate solution was new springs and emulators which transformed the front end.
Old 08-03-14, 07:26 PM   #8
Nutsinatin

I've got k-tec springs to match my weight, emulators and 15wt oil, works a treat, not too harsh for me at all. Soaks up the harsh bumps and pot holes pretty well and handles great too, but it depends on your preference and the rest of your set up!
Blue K9 Pointy #2 - Nearly at 120,000 miles!
Nutsinatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-14, 07:30 PM   #9
Alexander94

I've just got the standard setup, I haven't tweaked anything and I liked how it handled before the fork seals went so I'm just going to leave the springs and replace the oil with Castrol 10w. I've ordered it now anyway so I'll see how it goes with that
Old 08-03-14, 07:32 PM   #10
MJC-DEV

I meant that I hated 15W with the standard damper rod forks and springs - different ball game entirely with emulators and heavier fork springs (like wot I said in my first post)