SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-02-11, 03:51 PM   #1
alibax

Default electrical problem

I have had an electrical problem now for several weeks. (2002 sv650s K2)
It started off with an intermittent speedo, rev counter and Mileage. They would all trip in and out together.

I checked the connections and wires first but all was fine. After about a week the problem seemed to sort itself out and all was working fine again.
However it came back and this time there was also an issue with the battery holding its charge. As i had no other form of transport (i use the SV to commute) i just put up with having no speedo/revs/mileage for a while longer until i lost power to the indicators/brake lights and bulbs on the dash.
I checked the fuses and sure enough the signal one had blown, so i replaced it but it blew shortly after riding the bike again.

I checked all the cables and connections again and it all seemed fine. I have replaced the rectifier/regulator, as i was getting a voltage drop when the bike was revved and the battery was not charging properly. This seems to have solved the battery charge issue and stopped the indicator fuse blowing. It didn't fix the speedo/rev/mileage problem.

I bought another set of clocks from ebay plugged them in and I still have the same problem, clocks light up and the lights on the right (oil, neutral, mainbeam indicator etc) all work but still the speedo, rev and mileage dont work.

Ive been tinkering for ages and scouring some forums but have had no luck .
Any advice or suggestions would be very welcome!
Old 03-02-11, 08:25 PM   #2
Ruffy

Default Re: electrical problem

Not able to check a wiring diagram right now but, at the risk of asking the obvious, have you checked that all fuses are now OK? There may be another stray blown one?
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-11, 10:44 AM   #3
alibax

I'll have a look, I think the next step is to clean all the connections and spray them with contact spray.
Old 08-02-11, 06:26 PM   #4
alibax

She's fixed!

there was a red wire off the big connector (in the front left hand fairing) that had corroded, i cut it on both sides of the connector put in a short section of wire and soldered it together, finished with some insulation tape.

Thanks for the help! I hope this thread proves helpful to someone in the future if they have a similar problem.