SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 26-03-14, 01:09 PM   #1
The Gnome

Default K5 exhaust mods issues ?

Hi folks, I've decided to replace my trusty old curvy with a rather nice K5 that has a few tasteful mods, the only thing that I have a question over, is that it has an aftermarket can ( beowolf) on it, but the seller has no idea whether it has or has not had a power commander fitted to compensate for any fueling issues. My big question is, would it need a power commander to stop it running too lean or will the ecu compensate anyway. Ta !
The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-14, 02:53 PM   #2
SV650Racer

Default Re: K5 exhaust mods issues ?

More than likely will be running too rich (most SV's we have had on dyno with aftermarket end cans run off rich especially at small throttle openings). TBH it doesnt make them bad to ride but improvements can be had, one of them smoother throttle response and better MPG.
Old 26-03-14, 03:24 PM   #3
The Gnome

Cheers mate. I'll see if I can get a test ride tomorrow.
Old 26-03-14, 07:57 PM   #4
MJC-DEV

Probably 99.9% of pointies with aftermarket end cans don't have Power Commanders. Probably 99.9% of road legal end cans don't change the fuelling.

PS. SV650Racer is a girl
Old 26-03-14, 09:00 PM   #5
Kenzie

I swapped the rocket launcher on my K7 for a Fuel pipe and haven't noticed any issues with how it runs. Just sounds awesome!
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-14, 08:55 AM   #6
SV650Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC-DEV View Post
Probably 99.9% of pointies with aftermarket end cans don't have Power Commanders. Probably 99.9% of road legal end cans don't change the fuelling.

PS. SV650Racer is a girl
TBH i see very few bikes even with stock cans that fuel properly!. Most run very rich low down at small throttle openings..GSXR being a big one for this - you can actually hear them hunting on idle. Late Triumphs tend to be lean and the last stock 1050 we had on the dyno was very very lean smack back on the throttle openings and gears you would use each day.

SV's with stubby pipes are affected the worst and fueling is often the most common cause of the snatchy throttle syndrome..mainly too rich.
Old 27-03-14, 09:14 AM   #7
The Gnome

Cheers guys. The reason I asked is because the other bike (09 Harley) runs so lean as stock because of emissions apparently , that sticking after market slip on cans on the bl**dy thing it runs much leaner and runs ridiculously hot.
Old 27-03-14, 09:42 AM   #8
SV650Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
Cheers guys. The reason I asked is because the other bike (09 Harley) runs so lean as stock because of emissions apparently , that sticking after market slip on cans on the bl**dy thing it runs much leaner and runs ridiculously hot.
We have been setting up a fair number of Harleys recently, they do need it too. The dynojet power vision box is fantastic but not cheap.