SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-04-14, 06:15 PM   #1
Jrmurray1108

Default SV650 pointy front end upgrade options, Bang for buck?

Hi All,

Been following posts on here a while and signed up to thank everyone and get some thoughts.

Had my SK8 about 2 years, bought for work commute but now I don't 'need' it am going to spend a bit of cash to enjoy it.

So far just an air blade smoke screen and new Carbon oval BOS end can. Also got smoke led rear light and indicators to fit at some point. (Just learnt about resistors!)

Just bought the 07 ZX10R shock to be fitted on Monday and am completely aware that when I ride home it will feel like I am riding marshmallows on the front so am wondering what people think the best bang for buck is on the front. I know I should have done the front 1st but the shock was a steal!

I have ruled out a gixer front end swap due to lack of technical knowledge, garage, space, equipment and time. (Unless there is somebody around Leeds/Guiseley with all of the above in exchange for free beer for life

Having spent a week or 2 looking at all options I have decided £250 is the most I am willing to spend which gives a choice of options. The dilemma is I will probs have to pay somebody to do any fabricating/labour so any money saved on parts will be spent on labour. Obviously I am tight!

Mainly fast road use balancing comfort with performance.

1) £250ish (no modding)- hyper-pro progressive springs and ricor intiminators with 7.5wt oil, no modding required, both drop straight in

2) £220ish (no modding) - Traxxion dynamics drop in kit, comes with springs, rods, emulators and spacers

3) £120ish - as 1 above but with just the intiminators and recommended stock springs (are the hyper pros worth the extra £120 with the ricor mod?)

4) £120ish (some modding)- k-tech linear springs, debrix emulators (race tech copies a third of the price) with 15wt oil. Requires modding damper rods drilling and braising holes.

Or do I just drop some 15wt oil in!?

I have loads of family in the states so no issues with shipping costs on the cheap parts.

To me it feels like option 4 gives a lot for £120 and is the way to go but also the most mod intensive.

Anybody on here done any of the above and have an opinion over one versus the other, preferred route, done anything different?

Will post the results of whatever I end up doing

Advice and opinion much appreciated....

Cheers

Last edited by Jrmurray1108; 05-04-14 at 06:17 PM.
Old 05-04-14, 06:21 PM   #2
Jrmurray1108

Default Re: SV650 pointy front end upgrade options, Bang for buck?

Links
Drop in kit

http://www.traxxion.com/sv650drop-indamperrodkit.aspx

Intiminators
http://store.ricorshocks.com/product...-20-1001g2.htm

Debrix emulator
http://www.debrix.com/41mm-Fork-Damp...t.htm?CartID=1
Old 05-04-14, 06:30 PM   #3
MJC-DEV

I Have the Debrix emulators and K-Tech springs and think they are excellent -it really transformers the front end. On a personal note I think 15w is way too thick and would go for RSF Pro 7.5W or 10W max. You don't need thick oil with emulators as you set compression damping with the emulator springs and use the oil for re-bound only. Also, I tried 15W with stock forks and found it way too harsh - in fact this was the trigger to get the Debrix emulators.

Last edited by MJC-DEV; 05-04-14 at 06:31 PM. Reason: typo
MJC-DEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-14, 06:36 PM   #4
Jrmurray1108

+1 for debrix and k-tech then. Point taken on the oil, makes sense.

Did you do it yourself? Some threads say you need an adaptor/spacer for the debrix to sit centrally on the damping rods, some say it isn't needed as the spring holds it central. What did you do?
Old 05-04-14, 07:15 PM   #5
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrmurray1108 View Post
I have ruled out a gixer front end swap due to lack of technical knowledge, garage, space, equipment and time. (Unless there is somebody around Leeds/Guiseley with all of the above in exchange for free beer for life
Cheers
Well Yorkie Chis isn't a million miles away, but I don't think you know how much beer he could consume. It might be a price to high to pay for his expertise

Doing a gixxer front end swap doesn't require much technical knowledge and not that much in the way of tools or equipment. Not much more than doing the springs/emulators

Even a garage isn't essential, Knobby lad did his in his rear living room/kitchen.

But I appreciate it does need space to do it in comfort & dry.

Springs, oil and emulators is a good way to go
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-14, 07:43 PM   #6
Jrmurray1108

+2 cheers

Well.... I have a pub so technically possible to keep Chris watered but that is also the downside to the front end swap, pub car park probably not the best location!

Now I wonder if beer will pay for braising and drilling the dampers
Old 05-04-14, 07:57 PM   #7
maviczap
Mega Poster

I'm sure he'd be adminable to that
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-14, 10:17 PM   #8
Jrmurray1108

Just seen Racetech also doing the full set up for £172 inc shipping .....

Waayyyy to many options :/
Old 05-04-14, 11:21 PM   #9
Nobbylad
Mega Poster

Indeed...and 'Knobby lad' (in other words, Nobbylad), is potentially selling his K7 750 Gixer front end...complete...without the need to do anything other than undo a top yoke nut and un-clip a speedo cable (OK...a bit of artistic license, but not far off).

On the plus side, he's not too far from Leeds (nor is the .org's resident grease monkey, @Yorkie_Chris) and, you could sell your stock front end to at least one bod on here who needs one, for a fair amount. Probably leaving you with paying a bit more than you've highlighted above, for a massive improvement over stock.

On the downside, you might have to listen to a dour Yorkshireman rattle on for an hour or two about chip fat and lathe swarf.

Nobbylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-14, 11:30 PM   #10
LewSpeight
Mega Poster

Default Re: Re: SV650 pointy front end upgrade options, Bang for buck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobbylad View Post
you might have to listen to a dour Yorkshireman rattle on for an hour or two about chip fat and lathe swarf.

This made me laugh so much.
How accurate.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk
LewSpeight is offline   Reply With Quote