SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 31-05-14, 10:22 PM   #1
Flybuster

Default Faired to naked SV swap?

I've owned my curvy 650s for 10 years now but I'm now finding it increasingly less comfortable ( probably due to my crap riding style ). Wrist pain and loss of circulation to the lower leg being the main problem.
So I was thinking maybe a naked sv might be the way forward but have 2 main concerns:

Is the riding position that much different to the svs and is there much wind protection at speed.

I mainly do back roads of 100-150 mile trips but do jump onto the A roads now and again.
I had a blast on a bandit which was much more comfortable than my sv but I don't really want an inline four.

Has anybody else made the swap from svs to svn. ?

Any input would be greatly appreciated, pros and cons etc.
Flybuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-14, 10:31 PM   #2
FG1

Default Re: Calling all naked riders

I had a faired, wrote it off then got a naked. OK, the wind was a bit noticeable at first but now I don't notice it. It is more relaxed, and in traffic it's less hassle.
On the long runs there's no major drawbacks but at the end of the day it is a naked and you will get wind issues more than a faired...
Go for it, end of.....
Old 31-05-14, 10:31 PM   #3
Mikey360

I've got a comfort kit on my pointy (faired).

Its more of a "sit up n beg" position, much comfier and easier on the wrists after the miles rack up!

Still get loads of wind protection compared to the nakeds.

Easy to fit and not too expensive either!
Old 31-05-14, 10:40 PM   #4
Flybuster

Cheers FG1, that's what I guessed really. I was surprised how little I felt the wind on the bandit so that's what got me thinking down the naked route.

Yeah Mikey I have considered for a few years about the comfort kit but I only use the bike at weekends and that's when the weather is fine. Would a comfort kit help with the loss of leg circulation though, or would I have to change the rearsets for naked ones.
Old 31-05-14, 10:47 PM   #5
Mikey360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybuster View Post
Yeah Mikey I have considered for a few years about the comfort kit but I only use the bike at weekends and that's when the weather is fine. Would a comfort kit help with the loss of leg circulation though, or would I have to change the rearsets for naked ones.
Possibly, I think with your torso being more upright it may ease with circulation down to your legs..... I'm only guessing though!

I'm not sure if the rearsets off a naked are any different on a curvy, I'm sure someone will inform us!
And I think you can buy adjustable pegs? Remember seeing them on ebay a while ago.
Old 31-05-14, 11:04 PM   #6
Flybuster

Default Re: Faired to naked SV swap?

I think they are slightly lower on the naked than on my model 1999.

Think I might go down the naked route though, as it seems I would almost be turning my svs into one, by fitting a conversion and rearsets etc.
Maybe fit a fairing on a naked !!!!
Old 31-05-14, 11:10 PM   #7
FG1

Just buy mine off me and help me get off the fence with deciding to change or not....
Old 31-05-14, 11:20 PM   #8
Flybuster

Ha..yeah !! .....May see if someone fancies a swap......a bit closer to home.
Old 01-06-14, 12:14 AM   #9
Tomor
Mega Poster

Buy a vstrom.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-06-14, 08:17 AM   #10
MJC-DEV

Try Bruell pegs that drop the foot rests about an inch