SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-06-14, 09:29 PM   #1
Knobby

Unhappy I think I have blown My engine (curvy)

Not been a good week.
First on Wednesday morning I was on my way to work(through the rain) and I got about a mile from work and the bike cut out at a set of traffic lights. It wouldn't start and looked like the battery was flat.This happened last year and last year it was the battery,so after pushing it a mile through the rain i got to work and ordered a new battery. Once fitted bike was running as before with no problems.
Then on Thursday while on my way home from work and once again about a mile from home i noticed a tapping noise from the engine. It sounded like the sort of tapping you get when something is caught in something like a metal fan, like a ting ting ting ting ting noise. I got home and got off the bike while it was ticking over, still ting ting ting .... there was no smoke,rough running,loss of power,no oil light on. so i left the bike and went to the gym. Three hours later and with the bike cooled off a bit i started it up.
I was greeted with a horrible noise that was a mix of metal on metal/scrapping/finger nails running down a black board/ tube train running along the tracks, kind of noise ?!?!??!
So i think its gone pop. There is oil in the engine by the way.

So before i go either spending loads to try and find out the cause or i break the bike and sell the parts on eby are there any suggestions to the poss problem?
Old 01-06-14, 09:48 PM   #2
bobbleheadbarne

Default Re: I think I have blown My engine (curvy)

Whats the can chain tensioner like

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Old 02-06-14, 12:29 AM   #3
rictus01
Mega Poster

Why oh why does anyone assume the oil pressure light will tell the volume of oil it would seem your definition of running fine is perhaps a little generous, when was it last serviced/checked? Although possible it's unlikely your two problems are connected pne being mechanical and the other electrical.
You need tp find where the noise os coming from (top /bottom/left or right of engine).

I've not heard pf an engine actually fox itself whilst the rider was at the gym, but dp please let us know if that method indeed works for you......

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-14, 05:50 AM   #4
Knobby

I wouldn't think for a min it would fix itself.
Reason I left it was because i didn't have time and tried to look later when i had more time.
When i did try and start it the noise was /is so bad i didn't want to keep ot running to try and find out what the problem is.

Before the noise the bike was fine,no miss fire etc etc.plenty of oil and no oil light. Yes yes the oil light is not a level indicator but no loss of oil pressure before the noise.
Old 02-06-14, 06:24 AM   #5
bobbleheadbarne

Will it run up...check cam chain tensioner and timing if chain has jumped or rattling this will tell you and easy starting poiny OIMO
Rictus be nice his bikes broken we all started some where....

Old 02-06-14, 06:53 AM   #6
davepreston

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictus01 View Post
Why oh why does anyone assume the oil pressure light will tell the volume of oil it would seem your definition of running fine is perhaps a little generous, when was it last serviced/checked? Although possible it's unlikely your two problems are connected pne being mechanical and the other electrical.
You need tp find where the noise os coming from (top /bottom/left or right of engine).

I've not heard pf an engine actually fox itself whilst the rider was at the gym, but dp please let us know if that method indeed works for you......

I cannot comment on this as I would never go to a gym under any circumstances hth DP
Old 02-06-14, 07:02 AM   #7
rictus01
Mega Poster

a cam chain will not jump without being loose (and correspondingly telling you so) a main won't blow without oil starvation, which is easily checked, very very rarely will a mechanical device give no prior indication of an impending problem, hence systematic regular checks and maintenance.

I've no idea when this engine was last serviced or checked, no idea what the owner considers "normal" engine noises and prepared to ride with, it could be a component failure (but I'll take good odds it isn't), which is why we always ask for history of the basics first and don't take " everything was fine and then suddenly...." on face value.

if as I asked the sound can be located then that will give more of an idea what it could be, if it's mains then in all likelihood it'll be a starvation problem, and we all know that's a new engine job, however is it's a cam chain then it's unlikely to have happened as suddenly as described without having made a fair racket prior to the incident and a good indication would be it had not been check or reset in some time (hence service or maintenance).

I've mended and diagnosed many many of these things that start with misleading or incomplete information, once the full story unfolds it invariably comes down to mechanical basics.

As originally said, too vague to make anything by a guess at, could be nothing more than a loose bolt and bracket rattling......
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!

Last edited by rictus01; 02-06-14 at 07:08 AM.
Old 02-06-14, 08:12 AM   #8
bobbleheadbarne

Correct thats why I said check tensioner dam your angry

Old 02-06-14, 08:23 AM   #9
rictus01
Mega Poster

And I said When where they last checked......

Old 02-06-14, 06:52 PM   #10
Knobby

Am beginning to wonder why I bothered posting this thread due to mr angry here.

The only problem which happened to give "prior indication of an impending problem" was a battery failing, nothing else. Engine was running fine up until the tapping noise.
Bike has had regular servicing during the time i have owned it and was going to have the oil,filter,air filter,spark plugs,valve clearances check etc etc etc later this month as it has been having.

i am having the bike collected on thursday to let sombody else have a look to see whats going on.