SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-12-14, 09:12 PM   #1
Snatchers

Thumbs up New SV650 owner

Hi guys and girls I'm new to this forum and wanted to say hi. Just got myself an 05 sv650 with just over 12,000 of the clock for a very nice price of £500 it needs a bit of work, new head light, top fairing and wing mirror new fork seals and a bloody good tidy up. As I'm replacing the fork seals I just wanted some advice on the suspension being a bit soft, has anyone here put new springs and oil in there's if so what is the best thing just putting in thicker oil or replacing both oil and springs any help would be very nice 👍
Old 14-12-14, 09:17 PM   #2
maviczap
Mega Poster

Default Re: New SV650 owner

Both, do a search on here, there are lots of threads about suspension
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-14, 09:58 PM   #3
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

How doo

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-14, 04:04 AM   #4
BanannaMan

Welcome!
Thicker oil alone isn't going to do much, if you're going to stick with the stock forks you'll need new springs as well to get any noticeable improvement.

"The Mountains are calling and I must go"

BanannaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-14, 07:50 AM   #5
jambo
Mega Poster

Welcome! The forks are a little basic, but not as bad as some make out. My personal feeling is that on the road thicker oil quite quickly makes them feel harsh. I tend to go with a good 10w or a mix of 10w and 15w fork oil. Have a search on fork oil weights, different companies offerings can be different for the same writing on the bottle. If you're over about 10 stone then stiffer springs start making good sense. K-tech do single rate springs to suit your weight and are not hard to fit.

Jambo

Sent without a real keyboard
Old 15-12-14, 08:56 AM   #6
CarlH

Welcome! I agree with you regarding the breaks! From my perspective I would like a little bit more "distinct" brakes. I have looked around in many threads in this subject and the general impression is that steel covered break hoses will do the trick. So I have ordered some and hope that it will do, mayby also in combination with a thicker oil.
Old 15-12-14, 10:00 AM   #7
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlH View Post
Welcome! I agree with you regarding the breaks! From my perspective I would like a little bit more "distinct" brakes. I have looked around in many threads in this subject and the general impression is that steel covered break hoses will do the trick. So I have ordered some and hope that it will do, mayby also in combination with a thicker oil.
The calipers will need strip and clean as the slides and pistons may not be moving freely

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-14, 12:02 PM   #8
Snatchers

Aye Oop andysmith

Last edited by Snatchers; 15-12-14 at 12:11 PM.
Old 15-12-14, 02:56 PM   #9
Bike_Nutter

Welcome to the club.

I'm still rather new on here myself and suffer with the sloppy forks problem being 14 stone and over 6 foot.

I'm tagging into the thread to find out the cheapest and quickest way to get the forks to not dive so much when using more than gentle braking, and I hear so much about braided hoses doing wonders for the very average brake set. Doing the job myself would be out of the question I think. I can do basic servicing and have overhauled brakes, but anything to do with the forks seems daunting to me.

What is the cost of a fork upgrade and brake hoses being fitted?
Old 15-12-14, 06:50 PM   #10
MJC-DEV

Springs and emulators transform the front. Lotsa info on here for details, cost, guides etc.