SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-04-05, 04:52 PM   #1
Cloggsy

Default 47 tooth rear sprocket - Where from, how much etc?

OK... I'm looking down the route of fitting a 47 tooth rear sprocket on my K3S I would like to know where would I get one from & how much would it be

Also, would it be best to change my chain & front sprocket if I'm fitting a new rear sprocket or would that be a waste of money (as the bike has only done 3000 miles & its got a Scottoiler fitted)
Old 20-04-05, 04:55 PM   #2
Iansv

Talon or Renthal would probably make one... think they only go to 46 off the shelf....

not seen any 47's

maybe dropping front to 14 and rear upto 45 or 46 would give same effect ?

Why ?
Old 20-04-05, 04:57 PM   #3
Viney
Mega Poster

A 14t on the front is vicious and i wouldnt recomnd it if you do any kind of fast a road, motorway stuff.

However, i think a 46t on an s is about as large as you can go due to the chain length. 108 as opposed to 110 links on the naked. So its up to you.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-05, 04:57 PM   #4
Cloggsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iansv
maybe dropping front to 14 and rear upto 45 or 46 would give same effect ?
I want to keep the size of the front sprocket the same, if you reduce the front sprocket size it increases the wear on the chain... Someone on here posted the fact they had a 47 tooth fitted on their bike
Old 20-04-05, 04:59 PM   #5
Viney
Mega Poster

http://www.talon-eng.co.uk/html/sprockets.html
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-05, 05:00 PM   #6
Iansv

I'm getting mine done next week, 15 std front and 46 rear with 110 link chain

shame to waste the chain after 3000 miles, altho you could get away with it, just wouldn't have any adjustment
Old 20-04-05, 08:03 PM   #7
Cloggsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viney
WTF they don't do e-mail enquiries

Anyone else?

P.S. I found the quote re. a 47 tooth sprocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_SV
I changed the gearing from 15/44 to 15/47.

3 up on the rear has pretty much the same ratio as one down on the front (get ya calculator out, go on ), and this way actually should reduce a bit of wear on ya sprockets!

Acelleration is errr much increased, which might go some way to explain why the front tyre see's a bit less wear recently lol.

As far as top speed goes, it hasn't really suffered, but like Johnboy says it will make the bike a bit more buzzy.

Another thing to consider which is far less hooliganistic, is that the fact the gearing is lower makes the bike easier to thread through traffic.

Hope this helps you, Dan.
Old 20-04-05, 09:46 PM   #8
Dan_SV

The PM sent to Cloggsy for the benefit of anyone else intrested:

I got mine from BFM, they do mail order, and gave me top notch service, which is more than can be said for the w*nkers at TradeDirect. BFM's number is 01274 532777. It's the same as a GSF400 (GK75B) Bandit. You will need a new chain at the same time as the increased diameter of the rear sprock increases the chain run (but you knew that anyway I'm guessing.) May as well get a front sprocket while your at it. They do a deal on them. Can't remember prices (but they are in the back of MCN Bikemart.) BFM will see you right, they gave me a 118 link chain which I cut to the appropriate length.

It is worth the hassle though. All the benefits of a 14 tooth front, but without the increased chain/sprocket wear. Theoretically the chain and sprocket life should be increased over standard.

I'm more interested in how perky it is though! Up to 130 in no time, and still pulls 135. Best mod I have made so far pound for pound.

If your interested on a curvy it averages 125miles to a tank, but that is err being ridden briskly. Equates to about 35mpg. Can't compare to original, as I'm not too fussed about fuel consumption so long as it isn't horrendous.

Hope this helps.

Dan.
Old 20-04-05, 09:55 PM   #9
Cloggsy

I've e-mailed 'em... Many thanks
Old 20-04-05, 10:04 PM   #10
Dan_SV

Allways happy to be of service

We could start our own rebel 47 tooth rear club.

Or not, it'd be a bit sad

Dan.