SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

View Poll Results: Is this a fair verdict?
Yes 7 70.00%
No 3 30.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 16-05-06, 11:24 AM   #1
Anonymous

Default Apple Corps Vs Apple Computers Inc Debate

Been following this story with interest over the past, and i must say that i predicted this verdict as much as 2 months ago. My verdict has won me £50 in a wager at work.

Apple beat Apple Corps

Computer giant beats Beatles in legal case

08 May 06 - Apple Computers has won it's battle against the Beatles' Apple Corps, a judge at London's High Court has just ruled.

Apple Corps, owned by Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, John Lennon's widow Yoko Ono and the estate of George Harrison, argued the computer company had violated a 1991 trademark agreement by moving into the music business through its market-leading iTunes online store.

However, Apple Computer has won its argument that iTunes was primarily a data transmission service, which is permitted by the agreement.

The 1991 out-of-court settlement, which included a $26 million payment by Apple Computer, set out areas in which each party would have exclusive use of their respective fruit-shaped logos.

In his judgement, Mr Justice Mann said: "I find no breach of the trademark agreement has been demonstrated," Mr Justice Mann said in his judgment. "The action therefore fails."

Apple Corps said it would appeal the decision, while Apple Computer was awarded court costs.

What are your comments? Views? Some people have started comparing Apple Computers Inc to Microsoft etc.

My beleifs and reasons are as such:

A fair result as far as im concerned.

Apple Corps have done nothing in recent years to secure their logo and their place in the market. Apple Computers Inc had the right to use the apple logo on the basis that they did not move into the music industry.

As others have stated, they have not done that technically. In iTunes, they have created a music delivery system. Royalies are still paid to the artists of the music when ever a copy of the song is purchased from iTunes. The remainder of the customers fee of .79p is retained by Apple Computers Inc as profit - just in the same way as that highstreet stores keep a percentage of the profits from album sales.

The issue here is the useage of the Apple logo - even before Apple Computers Inc moved into the alleged "music industry", the logo of the apple was synomanous with Apple Computers Inc as opposed to Apple Corps. If the beatles and the holders of Apple Corps were concerned about their place in the Market and their Brand, they should have made moves sooner to prevent the loss of their Brand.

They had it coming. Apple Computers have not dont any thing wrong, and the result if entirely just.
Old 16-05-06, 11:31 AM   #2
keithd

you can spend that £50 you won on decorating your bedroom!

result
Old 16-05-06, 11:34 AM   #3
keithd

think i've just wee wee'd my pants!!
Old 16-05-06, 11:36 AM   #4
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Have you thought about setting up a blog for all this stuff. I may even help you.
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-06, 11:48 AM   #5
Stingo

Small squirt here

But yes - a fair verdict.
Old 16-05-06, 11:53 AM   #6
Anonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM
Have you thought about setting up a blog for all this stuff. I may even help you.
Its not a blog style article.

Just creating a debate... dont want to debate it - dont read it.
Old 16-05-06, 12:12 PM   #7
Grinch

I love my blog... its great thing...
Old 16-05-06, 12:34 PM   #8
GSXR Carlos

i can honestly say i'd never heard of Apple Music untill this

it's about people's perceptions, and Apple computers will always be associated with the apple with a chunk bitten out of it

its like anywhere you see a tick you think of Nike. its about brand strength and so long as apple computers don't actually use the 'apple' to advertise they aren't doing any wrong
Old 16-05-06, 12:40 PM   #9
BillyC
Mega Poster

GYKD... you forgot most appropriate option: Don't care.

Apple Records really have lost the plot - delusions of grandeur. They were set up to market Beatles music 40 years ago... it's the 21st Century now, roll over Beethoven!
Old 16-05-06, 01:14 PM   #10
Moo

Fair verdict.