SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-11-06, 06:36 PM   #1
dotted

Default Gsxr k6 Shock - quick question *fitted

Hello !

Got me a K6 gsxr600 shock on eBay , from what i read i will need the lower screw from the gsxr shock , but i only have the upper n.18 on the gsxr part fiche ->
http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/300_03...00&parent=5450
that has the same part code has the lower gsxr screw n.20 , i wonder if im ok with this screw ...

The upper screw looks to big to fit between the dog bones , so i need some expert opinions before i start to tare the bike apart

ps: please , can someone help me in this other topic
http://forums.sv650.org/viewtopic.php?t=47302
My rear tire has Little life left on him....
Old 04-11-06, 08:59 PM   #2
Jussi

Check this thread
http://www.svdownunder.com/forums/in...p?topic=9450.0

Same here - though the shock has not yet arrived
Old 05-11-06, 12:23 AM   #3
dotted

Lots of info on that tread thanks
Didn't know i had to use loctide on the treads , so i will have to go shopping tomorow before assembling the bike back !

Just finished taking the rear end off (kit kat moment now) .... and its a hell of an hard work Suzuki must have sumo wrestlers on steroids assembling the bikes , i had to fight every bolt with lots of wd40 + brute force , and the undertray is nightmare to take off !!
Wasted about 30 minutes just to figure out how those Little plastic rives come out...

Now all i have to do is to figure out a way to suspend the bike , to undo the shock bolts!
And see if the upper gsxr shock fits between the dog bones !
Old 05-11-06, 09:10 AM   #4
Jussi

Please keep us posted - i have the same thing waiting when the shock arrives, but plenty of time. Snow is here and temp -10degrees centigrade.

The GSXR shock is somewhat 20mm shorter let us now how much the tail sinks.
Old 05-11-06, 09:36 PM   #5
dotted

The tail with the stock shock has ~87/88cm , with the gsxr k6 shock has ~85cm , so the difference is about ~2cm ... Already ordered a jack up kit from ebay , that is suposed to give 3cm on tail height !

here is a picture of both shocks side by side:

gsxr shock is about 1.5cm shorter than the SV shock it has about 32cm from bolt to bolt , SV 33+cm from bolt to bolt , but im not sure if the preload has any effect on the shock length , so this measures can be a Little off !

I read your other tread regarding the bolts , and on my shock there is about 3mm clearance between the dog bones using the upper gsxr bolt, im going to grin the bolt just litle to avoid future problems, i believe you have a curvy SV , but the linkage system must be the same !

Now i have another problem unlike other gsxr shock when you have to cut the battery box , on the k6 shock it looks like have to cut the tool box away , on this shock the reservoir make on 90º angle , unlike other shocks i have seen that have an upsweept reservoir
The bike with the tool box cut off will look very ugly
here is the picture:

I was unable to find loctite to use on the bolt's , how important is the use of a tread-lock ??

PS: +19º degrees here :P lowest temp i remember was +8º degrees and that was very very cold !
Old 08-11-06, 01:08 AM   #6
dotted

Ok the shock is finally fitted i have 3 extra bolts :P they look like fairing bolts .. but i have no idea where they are from

Unfortunately the shock fells worst than the SV stock shock it fells to harsh , combined with the lower rear end , i can say that my bike is worst that it was ...
"if it ain't broken , don't fix it"

Im searching the web for the stock suspension settings of a gsxr k6 shock , but so far no luck , if anyone could point me on the right direction i would appreciate it

btw , the shock has 3 settings:
Preload , Compression , and "TENS" at the bottom of the shock, whats does the "TENS" stand for?
Old 08-11-06, 12:47 PM   #7
sdusk

The preload is the two rings on top of the spring. The compression damping is at the top, and the rebound is at the bottom. The compression and rebound adjusters turn clockwise to increase the damping.

Do the following to set it up as a starting point - it won't be perfect, but it will be a lot closer:

- Wind the compression and rebound all of the way out (anticlockwise).
- Set the sag. Do some searching on this forum for the favoured amount.
- Set the rebound. If you have no idea what correct rebound feels like then grab a friend and start bouncing. Get the friend to hold the bike straight and you can push on the seat (use quick hard pushes). Keep on turning the rebound screw until you notice that the bike is coming back up a little bit slower than you are pushing it down. This will get it close.
- Go for a ride, turn the compression in three clicks, go for another ride, turn the compression another 3 clicks. Keep doing this until it feels firm but not harsh.
Old 09-11-06, 10:40 PM   #8
dotted

Thank you , that was pretty easy after all

Rebound was at the maximum , and preload to high, it was making the bike fell very harsh on my usual bumpy roads !
Old 10-11-06, 10:07 AM   #9
sdusk

Good to hear that it is better now. Now it is time for the fine tuning!

For road use, I fine tune the rebound by going to a bumpy section of road, slowing right down in first gear and giving it full throttle through first and second gear. I keep increasing the rebound until the rear wheel just starts to spin over the bumps, and then back it off one click. Obviously don't do this when it is wet/icy/muddy/on cold tyres (somewhat difficult at this time of year!)

The GSXR600 spring is not as firm as the original SV spring IIRC. What this means is that it is more likely that big bumps will cause the rear suspension to completely bottom out. When this happens the rear can kick-back quite violently from its internal bump stop. When you first feel it you may think that the compression is set too high, but in reality it is because it is not set high enough. Without using data logging, it can be quite difficult to get this right, however over time you will get a feel for it. On your favourite bumpy road try upping and lowering the compression a few clicks, and then a few more until it feels firm and controlled.