SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-04-07, 07:06 PM   #1
jonnygman

Default R1/R6 Front master Cylinder

Ive tried using the search function but cant seem to find anything on this topic can an r1 master cylinder be used on a curvy, reason i ask is my master is leaking and i have to get an internals kit for it at 20 sheets but ive seen a r1 master on ebay and was wondering if it was a worthwhile mod
Old 28-04-07, 08:03 PM   #2
jonnygman

Default Re: R1/R6 Front master Cylinder

anyone know what 19 x 18 stands for on a master cylinder twas looking ebay and they have a brembo wondered of it would fit looks a mighty nice upgrade if it did

Last edited by jonnygman; 28-04-07 at 08:04 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 29-04-07, 01:59 AM   #3
northwind
Mega Poster

R6 Brembo can indeed be put on a curvy, works a charm in fact. Fairing clearance is really tight on a faired model though, never had it fitted with stock bars but with all my different bars on the GSXR front the m/c only fitted in one position, so no adjustability on angle- or you could restrict the steering lock slightly if you preferred.

You can kind of see what I mean re position in this pic... The m/c has to stick exactly into the recess in the fairing.

19 x 18 is bore and pivot- bore speaks for itself, the bigger it is the more fluid you push. Pivot is a wee bit more complicated, but is all about leverage and lever travel. 19x18 is a fairly middle of the road m/c as performance parts go. Remember though that pushing more fluid isn't neccesarily an advantage- it just means the wheel will lock sooner. you only need to move a few ml of fluid to work the brakes on a bike, having a one litre m/c would still just use the same few ml while the rest would just be a hindrance. So bigger isn't neccesarily bette.

The R6 one is 16mm x 18mm if memory serves, while my new one is, I think, 19x18. I like quite a long progressive lever action so the 16mm worked well, the 19x18 is just a bit better with the 4-pots but I never tried it with stock calipers. I've added a pic just because it's dead pretty This particular one is off a Rizla suzuki BSB bike

But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-07, 08:14 AM   #4
jonnygman

That looks very good i will go an try to win off ebay now
Old 29-04-07, 09:53 AM   #5
Born again

Not to highjack the thread but the GSXR K6/7 mc looks like it would be a straight swap for the SV one, anyone know if this is the case and if so is the GSXR one any better........
Old 29-04-07, 10:56 AM   #6
BIG Al

Hey Northy I'm not bein cheeky well not intentionally but that is the BEST pic i've ever seen of your bike an it lokks superb all the others seem to be in some sort of deconstruction lol
Old 29-04-07, 01:10 PM   #7
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born again View Post
Not to highjack the thread but the GSXR K6/7 mc looks like it would be a straight swap for the SV one, anyone know if this is the case and if so is the GSXR one any better........
I tried one of the various GSXR radials and it wasn't very good... Quite vague feeling. Lots of power though, just not very good feel. IMO power's not the issue, especially not on a road bike, I've got a 2-finger lever on the new one and it'll still stop as fast as I want. So if you want to do stoppies it'd be ace but I was glad to go back to the R6 one. Don't know if the new one is the same. There's nothing really wrong with the OE one tbh, it works perfectly well, but all the Brembos have better tolerancing, top-mount bleeders, less flex, and undermounted banjos (easier to bleed, removes an air trap). Not quite night and day but it's a nice upgrade, not as big as good pads

Al... I don't like that pic, it's a bit of an odd angle and the fairings are all manky
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote