SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Thames Valley Rideouts and meets for Thames Valleyers and beyond..

Old 06-07-08, 03:41 PM   #41
Warthog

Default Re: Photos and videos from trackday

Thats a great vid, just watched it. You couldn't get past me for a while!

The lowside is really interesting. You kind of cocked up the down shifting, but then recoved, had stable engine speed, scraped the pegs onece, then I think just scraped the pegs a second time and it levered the rear wheel off? No sudden movements apart from tipping the bike into the bend a bit in two goes. Great riding other than that though, I think you were the fastest out of all of us there!
Old 06-07-08, 04:44 PM   #42
Demonz

Andy - I did the same thing yesterday on the very next corner . We did the GP track though so was a left hander/chicane thingy before hitting the bank.
Old 06-07-08, 10:55 PM   #43
walkaboutandy

Hope your bike/you were OK? I was fortunate enough not to break anything that stopped me riding the rest of the day......and more importantly getting home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetHawk View Post
Nice riding... apart from the obvious!

How many trackdays have you done?
That was my second track day, first was Silverstone last August. I've only been riding a bike for 18 months so its all new to me. I've done quite a bit of karting so I vaguely know how to circuit race, although my lines were terrible in that vid - I was missing loads of the apex's. I'll upload another vid I took that day, when I attached the camera to the side fairing and my riding was a bit smoother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
Thats a great vid, just watched it. You couldn't get past me for a while!

The lowside is really interesting. You kind of cocked up the down shifting, but then recoved, had stable engine speed, scraped the pegs onece, then I think just scraped the pegs a second time and it levered the rear wheel off? No sudden movements apart from tipping the bike into the bend a bit in two goes. Great riding other than that though, I think you were the fastest out of all of us there!
That was really good fun trying to get past you, as you were taking the correct lines so I had to go around the outside and I didn't have the extra speed.

Every time the peg went down and scraped, I kinda pooped myself and brought the bike back up, and then realised it was OK and tipped it back down again. I think that time I was too vigorous in leaning it back down and I run out of grip. I think I'll take the metal bits off the pegs and buy some full sports tyres when my BT021's need replacing.
Old 07-07-08, 09:25 AM   #44
Warthog

I know what you mean about the peg scraping, I got that shock when suddenly you hear the scrape and feel your boot twinge, and I automatically leaned the bike up a bit each time. The thing is, if people fit rearsets and all that, then at your lean angle they wouldn't be scraping the pegs yet but they don't come off the end of the tyre? I.e. with stock footpegs you get the pegs down way before you run out of tyre I thought.
Old 07-07-08, 09:39 AM   #45
Demonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkaboutandy View Post
Hope your bike/you were OK? I was fortunate enough not to break anything that stopped me riding the rest of the day......and more importantly getting home!
I wasnt so lucky but
nothing too major - broke the LHS rearset bracket so may just make one. Also lost the other bar end and bent a lever...
Old 07-07-08, 10:36 PM   #46
walkaboutandy

Sorry for a newbie question but I assume rearsets are aftermarket pegs moved up?

I wouldn't take the metal noggins off my pegs until I got some better tyres for the reason that I now know not to lean more when its scraping. My mate Dave on the TL who was there that day, has got sports tyres and no metal noggins on his pegs and he got some some crazy lean angles.

I'll have a look for a pic........
Old 07-07-08, 10:50 PM   #47
walkaboutandy

Here is a pic of Dave. The can is just about skimming the floor!

http://trackdaydigitalimages.com/160.../page_170.html
Old 07-07-08, 10:50 PM   #48
Stig

I have z6 tyres with after market pegs. No hero blobs. In fact the pegs are chamfered as well. I was convinced they wouldn't touch the track. They did though.
Old 07-07-08, 11:10 PM   #49
walkaboutandy

Who makes z6 tyres?
Old 07-07-08, 11:12 PM   #50
Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkaboutandy View Post
Who makes z6 tyres?
Metzler, Roadtec Z6