SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-09-20, 07:29 AM   #11
CheGuevara

Default Re: Tyre levers

So I ended up ordering the JMP "Professional" set from M&P with a few other bits I needed:

I've spotted this as well though, which is similar to my bead breaker but more advanced. Tempting and just £85...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP6cRltuPSQ
CheGuevara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-20, 09:23 AM   #12
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

I've got a set like this,

https://tinyurl.com/y2evc2cv

The extra 3rd spoon makes it easier. I also use this(Bead Lube/Paste)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PREMIUM-T...YAAOSwJeVd4UQu

One of my first jobs when I left school was as a Tyre-fitter.

For breaking beads I use a Rag and a Garden spade as per this video,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHHzCxMvxAM

For Balancing I use my Wheelie bins and place the Wheel between the two using the axle

I use a Rubber Camping mallet to knock new tyre over rim if required.

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 22-09-20 at 09:43 AM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-20, 09:59 AM   #13
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1ffR4ff View Post

The extra 3rd spoon makes it easier. I also use this(Bead Lube/Paste)
I haven't used tyre levers for ever, but I remember there was always 3 in a set - why do many come as a set of 2 now ?

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-20, 10:05 AM   #14
CheGuevara

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
I haven't used tyre levers for ever, but I remember there was always 3 in a set - why do many come as a set of 2 now ?
Probably so you have to buy two sets. It's like ice creams (magnums etc) that come in boxes of 3. Need to buy two boxes in our house to avoid an argument over who gets the last one
Old 22-09-20, 10:05 AM   #15
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
No Idea M8. I've always used three
Old 22-09-20, 08:47 PM   #16
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
Yes. If you have more than one bike and one is a dirt bike with tubes that you swap between tyres on.
ok, fair enough. I haven't fitted a motorbike tyre myself since about 1978 and I wouldn't have balanced it then !
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-20, 11:37 AM   #17
CheGuevara

So the JMP levers arrived today. If it helps anyone: I've not used them yet, but they're a good length, feel solid, nice clean forgings with rounded edges/tips. Textured finish like German hand tools (I *think* they're a German company) but no COO, so no doubt made in Asia (if it matters).
Old 27-09-20, 02:12 PM   #18
CheGuevara

Levers worked great for getting the old tyres off.

For installing the new tyres, I used the duct tape method to pinch the tyre beads and with a little tyre lube was able to easily push the tyres onto the rim with no levers or tools in seconds, and fairly low effort (and no swearing). I'm pretty pleased with myself - wish I'd known this trick years ago.

I spent far more time and effort particularly at the rear of the bike, removing/replacing the wheel, as well as cleaning, re-greasing (I say re-greasing, but I suppose that implies there was grease to start with) and so on.

The replacement Michelin tyres (Road 5) have no heavy-spot marker, which I thought was weird. I googled and they apparently don't think it's necessary. I certainly found a heavy spot - I put the tyres on the rim and then onto the balancer before inflating them onto the bead to try and get it as close to balanced as I could and limit the amount of weights I'd need. I was then able to move the tyre around the rim to try and find the "best" position.

The rear tyre I managed to get away with 15g (originally it had no weights). The front tyre is going to need something North of 20g (having removed 10g of old/original clip-on type) - I ran out of weights so need to order some online to finish the job.