SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-09-06, 11:46 PM   #1
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

Default a BIG THANK YOU to a random biker

Someone posted recently about how we don’t seem to have enough feel good threads on here sometimes, so heres a little story that made me glad to be a biker.

Mrs Spidey and I went to the Thames Festival today and I parked up, with much faffing and squeezing, in a bay near the London Eye. About an hour of wandering about later did I realise I didn’t have my key and instantly saw in my minds eye the picture of them in my igniton.

Oh sh*t!

Big rush back to the bike and they weren’t in the ignition anymore.
Some kind soul had removed them from the ignition and wrapped the lanyard thing theyre on securely round the fork leg and tried as best they could to hide the fact that there was a key there too, from prying eyes.

How relieved was i? Words just cant explain.

So that’s how my faith in humanity was restored a little today and the reason why I wanna say… Mr Random Biker, THANK YOU for doing the right thing and may your karma repay you in similar ways when you need it most

And it also made me wonder, is there a right thing to do if I came across a bike in this situation ? Is there a bikers code regarding this? Do we, like some car drivers do, hide the key on the rear tyre under the hugger or something and expect the person to look there too? Are we supposed to hand them in to the local cop shop? Anyone have an answer? I'm interested if there is an answer to this that I just don't yet know.
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-06, 12:11 AM   #2
northwind
Mega Poster

I did that, right back when i got the bike- either left it in the seat lock, or dropped it by the bike. I didn't even realise till days later when I went to pick it up from where we'd parked it (bought the bike before I did my test, and the previous owner had to shift it from her garage to make space for a Monster 800). Someone found the key and stashed it in the bellypan. Course, I never found it- went and got the spare key, went back, and it fell out while I was hopelessly trying to get out of the car park
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-06, 05:49 AM   #3
falc

Been close to doing that but so far been alright. Under the front mudguard would be a good place as it is universal to all bikes. (i think)
Old 18-09-06, 06:43 AM   #4
Peter Henry

Nice ending to your story there Spidey. Last year at Jerez a friend of mine left the keys in the ignition of his 749. This was only realised as the only logical conclusion when we returned to the bike park at the end of the day after Len had turned out every pocket on his person amid much panic.

However a fellow 749 rider who had parked a short distance away had seen the keys in the ignition and handed them to one of the bike park security guys. A quick phone call and walk over to the control centre saw the keys returned to their much relieved owner!
Old 18-09-06, 07:23 AM   #5
Kilted Ginger

I came across Keys left in the ignition of a Fazer in our local shopping centre. I pocketed said keys , locked our back wheels together and left a note on the bike with my mobile number and shop i was going to and when i'd be back.
I got back to the bike and still no sign of the owner, i was in the process of modifying the note to say i'd dropped the keys at the local cop shop (1/2 mile), when a rather anxious and sweaty biker came running across the car park, he was most gratefull.
Old 18-09-06, 07:31 AM   #6
Mogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilted Ginger
I came across Keys left in the ignition of a Fazer in our local shopping centre. I pocketed said keys , locked our back wheels together and left a note on the bike with my mobile number and shop i was going to and when i'd be back.
I got back to the bike and still no sign of the owner, i was in the process of modifying the note to say i'd dropped the keys at the local cop shop (1/2 mile), when a rather anxious and sweaty biker came running across the car park, he was most gratefull.
That's what I would do.
Old 18-09-06, 09:20 AM   #7
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Quote:
I also think this is the best answer if feasible. But I also guess you would need to be careful that not just anyone finds the note and calls you for the keys to steal the bike. Just keeping the note to a simple call me on 07... should do.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-06, 09:26 AM   #8
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu
Quote:
I also think this is the best answer if feasible. But I also guess you would need to be careful that not just anyone finds the note and calls you for the keys to steal the bike. Just keeping the note to a simple call me on 07... should do.
Solution there would be not to write anything on the note about keys. Just chain the wheels together & write a note with "When you want to move, call...." or similar effect.

Potential thief doesn't know you have the keys, so probably wouldn't be interested. Real owner would call you & ask "I dont suppose you found my keys?". Problem solved.

On a side note: I'm terrible for leaving my keys in the ignition. I've been known before now to panic whilst getting ready for work in the morning thinking "Oh S**t where's my lid & gloves gone?" Only to realise that they're on the tank whilst the bike was parked outside all night, with the keys in the ignition. Easy pickings I've been very lucky so far!
Old 18-09-06, 09:36 AM   #9
jambo
Mega Poster

I've left keys in the ignition a few times. Found a car with keys left in the door a few years back, picked them up and siply left my mobile number on a piece of card tucked into the window. Again, no one but the owner will knwo why it's there, got a flustered call about 40minutes later and popped back over with the keys...
Old 18-09-06, 10:15 AM   #10
Fizzy Fish

wow, lucky escape there

i'm always leaving my keys in the bike at work, but thankfully it's a secure car park so it's they're still sat there when i get back. Well that or i get a call from one of the other bikers going 'did you forget something...again?'