SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-04-05, 08:57 AM   #1
will

Default washing the sv

ok, i admit it....have had the bike since december and I've not been near it with any kind of cleaning materials . most couriers bikes look shiny and new compared to mine

to get the worst of the crud off, is it ok to use a jet wash at my local garage, or is that inadvisable? if so, any advice on which bits to avoid with the jet, eg electrics etc

thanks. Will.
Old 20-04-05, 09:25 AM   #2
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

You wanna keep the jet wash away from the wheel bearings, chain etc etc

I wouldnt wash it with a jet wash much better to get some muc off from halfords or somewhere and use a bucket and a sponge

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-05, 09:26 AM   #3
OF.uk

Default Re: washing the sv

Quote:
Originally Posted by will
ok, i admit it....have had the bike since december and I've not been near it with any kind of cleaning materials . most couriers bikes look shiny and new compared to mine

to get the worst of the crud off, is it ok to use a jet wash at my local garage, or is that inadvisable? if so, any advice on which bits to avoid with the jet, eg electrics etc

thanks. Will.
Be very careful with a jet wash. Don't go near the chain or bearings. Your best bet is a bucket of hot soapy water and a sponge, rinse off and shammy down. Slightly harder work but it'll do a better job.
Old 20-04-05, 09:27 AM   #4
OF.uk

must have been typing replies at the same time
Old 20-04-05, 09:28 AM   #5
JakeRS

i use this stuff called Gunk, its an engine degreaser you spread on with a brush, leave for 5 mins or so then wash off, gets most crud off your bike. Costs £2.29 for 500ml in Wilkinsons! Or £12 odd quid a litre in Halfords

And for stuff like chain lube on your swingarm, liquid parrafins the way to go apparently.
Old 20-04-05, 09:50 AM   #6
Viney
Mega Poster

Buff it up with an angle grinder

Use parafin as a degreaser. Gunk is good, but stinks! Jizer is also a very good degreaser. Use car soap to wash the body bits. Pledge(furniture polish) buffing up the paint, and something like armour all on the black plastic stuff. Dont polish the seat!!!

Remember to re lube the chain after all that
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-05, 10:03 AM   #7
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

You lazy git!

Muc Off is the lazy mans way mate. Big bottle that you spray on all over..leave for a min, then rinse off. Shamy dry would be good but on your colour i doubt you'd even notice some water marks.

For chain lube and stuff like that around your back wheel and swingarm use the parrafin / rag solution before you spray allover with the Muc Off.

The nice thing is that Muc Off also do a set that comes with cleaning brushes for your bike etc
http://www.muc-off.co.uk/motorcyclekit.html#

hth
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-05, 10:26 AM   #8
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

oh and when you are all done, give your platics bit a good shine with Mr Sheene furniture polish

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-05, 11:01 AM   #9
Viney
Mega Poster

Muc off is over priced rubbish IMO.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-05, 11:18 AM   #10
Carsick

Washing? can somebody please explain this concept to me.