SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-02-08, 03:33 PM   #1
nomad

Default New helmet, possibly flip front (safety?), Advice welcome.

I am considering a new helmet and am after something quiet, comfy and obviously safe, I like the idea of the flip down tinted visor that Schuberth etc have and I also like the convenience of a flip front.

I tried on a Shuberth C2 flip front and a Shoei flip front. The Shuberth felt better built and the mechanism felt better but the lining on the Shoei felt plusher and more immediately comfy, although perhaps the Schuberth just needs a little breaking in.

I had a quick try on of the Schuberth S1 which was great but I felt the chin piece was very close to my face, although I will try it again to check.

My last couple of helmets have been Arai's because they fit me well but they have been noisy.

I remain undecided and I would welcome your thoughts, advice and experiences.

Additionally, regarding flip fronts, how safe are they?

Cheers
Old 13-02-08, 04:07 PM   #2
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Default Re: New helmet, possibly flip front (safety?), Advice welcome.

flip fronts have to meet the same requirements as solid lids iirc

however, they are tested flipped down, ride around with it flipped up and i expect it's pretty ****e as protective kit
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-08, 04:10 PM   #3
gettin2dizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad View Post
I am considering a new helmet and am after something quiet, comfy and obviously safe, I like the idea of the flip down tinted visor that Schuberth etc have and I also like the convenience of a flip front.

I tried on a Shuberth C2 flip front and a Shoei flip front. The Shuberth felt better built and the mechanism felt better but the lining on the Shoei felt plusher and more immediately comfy, although perhaps the Schuberth just needs a little breaking in.

I had a quick try on of the Schuberth S1 which was great but I felt the chin piece was very close to my face, although I will try it again to check.

My last couple of helmets have been Arai's because they fit me well but they have been noisy.

I remain undecided and I would welcome your thoughts, advice and experiences.

Additionally, regarding flip fronts, how safe are they?

Cheers
Schuberths do feel a bit restrictive, but if you want the safest quietest lid...
Old 13-02-08, 04:41 PM   #4
anna
Mega Poster

do you already ride with ear plugs?
anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-08, 06:55 PM   #5
Lozzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettin2dizzy View Post
Schuberths do feel a bit restrictive, but if you want the safest quietest lid...
When Schuberths were safety tested by an independent testing facility they didn't score very highly at all. I've heard a fair few reports about the pretty rubbish build quality too. When I was wholesaling helmets I knew a few dealers who'd put them on the shelves and not long afterwards decided the amount of warranty problems weren't worth the bother of stocking them.

They get hyped because they are German and because they are expensive, that doesn't necessarily make them good.
Old 13-02-08, 07:06 PM   #6
Beenz

Some of the police forces use them though.... but they also used to ride the weaving Honda pan as well.

I tried a C2 on at the bike show out of curiosity, incredibly quiet. Try before you buy.
Old 14-02-08, 12:51 AM   #7
Lozzo

Most Police forces issue Shoei flip-fronts now, only a handful of traffic officers wear Schuberth. Some forces (one being the Met) give their officers a kit allowance and they can raise purchase orders to buy whatever kit they like, as long as the colour scheme conforms to set guidelines. I've sold Daytona sports boots and Arai RX7s to coppers this way.

Those people I know who bought Schuberths haven't been over impressed with them over their period of ownership.
Old 14-02-08, 09:45 AM   #8
lookskyward1

Flip front helmets have been discussed previoiusly http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=102717
Old 14-02-08, 11:31 AM   #9
nomad

Thanks for all the input.

I do wear ear plugs but would still like a quiet lid.

If I go down the flip front route, I will have a closer look at the Shoei but I have to say I am pretty taken by the flip down tinted visor on the Schuberth's, might also have a look at the R1.
Old 14-02-08, 12:25 PM   #10
600+

I use an AGV Titec same as the MOTO GP one? have no issues with it and its quiet