SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-04-15, 08:01 AM   #1
pencil shavings

Default Lube and grease

Hi guys,

Back on the forum after a while again!

I am busy getting the bike ready for summer and I am wondering what needs to be lubed up? What linkages/bearing etc can I get to without taking the bike apart much more?

Both wheels are currently off as I noticed the valves have totally perished and look very dangerous. Tyres are both almost new so no idea what happened! What linkages/bearing etc can I get to without taking the bike apart much more?

I also might take this opportunity to do the rear shock swap - but I think I bought the wrong one - GSXR750 which is almost exactly the same as stock, is it worth it?

Thanks guys
Old 10-04-15, 09:30 AM   #2
LiquidFlux

Default Re: Lube and grease

I think most people go for an 06-07 ZX10R shock, direct swap with a battery box heat-shield like plate removed.
Old 10-04-15, 11:01 AM   #3
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

If you are going to swap the rear shock, have a good look at the bearings that are in the rocker and in the swing arm. I fitted a grease nipple to both sets of bearings that the dog bones run on which makes lubrication very easy. When I took my swing arm out, I discovered that the bearings there were out of grease and I had caught them just in time before any damage had been done. The Rocker though was a dead loss and every bearing had to be replaced. Once this was done, I could not believe how active the rear end became.

Get some oil into the clutch cable housing and your throttle cables too, a light oil is best for this because it can penetrate through capillary action. Remember though that sprays like WD40 and the like are not lubricating oils, they are cleaners.

If you do not use a chain oiler, you may want to clean and lubricate your chain, a still bristled brush and some paraffin is the tool for the job here.

Also worthy of some work are your forks, you can strip and clean them, add some new oil and they will feel lovely and active. Or you can pull them out all together and plug some USD gorgeousness in their place. One of Bibio's speedo adapters will plug and play and you are sorted for a weekend of blasting.

Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-15, 11:06 AM   #4
pencil shavings

Thanks Jayne,
forks have been off as the seals needed replacing. took the opportunity to get some heavier fork oil and correctly weighted springs put in!
Some USD bling is on the wish-list, mostly for better stopping power that comes with the 6 pots

Is it easy to fit a nipple? lol
Old 10-04-15, 11:30 AM   #5
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pencil shavings View Post
Is it easy to fit a nipple? lol
Super simple and it took me about an hour, but then I am mildly disabled.

I got my grease nipples from the nipple shop, choosing to fit concave ones for ease of fit and a lower profile.

Linky for ease of use.

Have fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote