SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 23-04-15, 06:55 AM   #1
pencil shavings

Default Pillion back pains

My girlfriend has started coming for a few rides with me and is suffering from a bad back.
She is a good pillion, so I am struggling to give her any more advice on what to do other than sit up straighter - which makes her feel unstable.

Does anyone have pointers?

Cheers
Old 23-04-15, 08:05 AM   #2
LiquidFlux

Default Re: Pillion back pains

I've a top box that functions as a sissy-bar ( I think they're called? ), apparently that helps on the longer rides. I know Givi also offer a little cushion attachment too, which I don't have but have also considered.
Old 23-04-15, 08:49 AM   #3
garynortheast
Mega Poster

This is just a general observation but may have some relevance. I have found largely that the pillion footpegs on most bikes are too far forward for comfort, meaning that the passenger is often unable to use their feet effectively to take any weight or provide any support. Try sitting on the pillion yourself and you will probably see what I mean.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-15, 10:02 AM   #4
pencil shavings

She is quite vertically challenged and thinks that she hunches forwards to hold onto me because her arms aren't long enough.
I do have the grab rail at the back but she doesn't feel comfortable using it, especially around twisties when we are "making progress"
Old 23-04-15, 10:17 AM   #5
dkid

Default Pillion back pains

Oxford pillion grip belt or "love handles" are great. Your pillion only needs to reach to your sides rather than reach completely around your waist. My wife won't ride without them.

Also, try a triboseat grip of you don't already have one. They stop the pillion sliding around so much meaning that they expend less energy on trying to correct their posture every 2 minutes.

http://www.halfords.com/motoring-tra...n-grab-handles

http://www.triboseat.com/
Old 23-04-15, 11:52 AM   #6
pencil shavings

I have heard of those dkid, will ask her if she thinks that will help. cheers
Old 23-04-15, 12:29 PM   #7
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Don't bother spending money on the tribo seat, instead go to pound land and buy a roll of the meshy grippy stuff. Cut a piece off and tuck it around the seat before putting the seat back on. It does exactly the same job at a fraction of the cost. If it works and you want something to go on the bike more permanently then you can invest in the tribo but I bet you won't even need to as the cheap stuff works just as well.
Old 23-04-15, 01:01 PM   #8
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Don't bother spending money on the tribo seat, instead go to pound land and buy a roll of the meshy grippy stuff. Cut a piece off and tuck it around the seat before putting the seat back on. It does exactly the same job at a fraction of the cost. If it works and you want something to go on the bike more permanently then you can invest in the tribo but I bet you won't even need to as the cheap stuff works just as well.
This is true, but the triboseat does fit very nicely and is well made.
Old 23-04-15, 01:17 PM   #9
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophic View Post
This is true, but the triboseat does fit very nicely and is well made.
Oh it is, but if it's only for occasional use and you first want to see if that actually solves the problem then better to spend a quid first to trial it. I used to use it on the Dakar as slipping was the problem and it solved that, then I bought a tribo for RavingMavis for his GSXR750 for when I went pillion. It stopped me slipping, but didn't make the backache I suffered any easier.

Now on the KTM I get Stu to put the top box on and make sure I'm wearing my back protector as this makes it much more comfortable.
Old 23-04-15, 01:56 PM   #10
Red Herring
Mega Poster

You could always try swopping places every now and then...?

The belt handle affair is very effective at giving a pillion something to hold onto to stop them going off the back under acceleration, however they are not very good at stopping them from falling forward. To stop them from running into you every time you close the throttle/brake they either have to change their grip to push on the tank, or tense their lower body and grip the riders bum with their knees whilst pushing down on the pegs with their feet, and this is often the cause of the back ache.

An SV doesn't exactly have arm wrenching acceleration forces it might be worth encouraging her to ride with the palms of her hands on the back of the tank if that's possible (I note you comments about her being in proportion....) as that will lock her into the bike better, if not try riding with a normal (but strong) belt around your waist over the top of your jacket so she can put the fingers of both hands down through it into the small of your back and lock herself to you in this way.

The final solution is for you to revise the way you "make progress". The smoother your ride the more relaxed she will be and it's the continual tension that causes the problem.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote