SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-03-07, 09:40 PM   #1
Stingo

Default Odd chain rattle...

Been reading Baph's thread about somebody's loose & noisy chain. Well, mine had these two problems last week so I adjusted the bejesus out of the thing, as you do and tightened up as required - reckon I've got about half inch or so of play. Problem is, I've still got the bloody awful rattle when under load. With clutch pulled in and free wheeling the noise disappears. AND it's a rhythmic sound the frequency of which increases with speed. I've given the front sprocket a good torching but couldn't see any obvious problems.

Opinions anyone?

Chain and sprockets are a little over a year old - 5k on them - scottoiler fitted.
Old 14-03-07, 09:53 PM   #2
Trooper79

Default Re: Odd chain rattle...

This sounds like the same thing i mentioned to the garage who look after my bike. He said that this is just a charactoristic of the model and not to worry too much about it , although there are things that can be done to reduce the amount of noise it makes.
Old 14-03-07, 09:56 PM   #3
Stingo

Hmmm...maybe...never noticed it before tho'...hence I'm noticing it now. One of those something & nothing er..things.
Old 14-03-07, 10:12 PM   #4
Sevorg

yep, mine's done 5k and I get the same thing, most noticable on motorways. Dealer says it's characteristic!! Hmmm. - Try mentally adding some cymbals, a bass drum and keyboards to the noise in your head. Soon goes away and your left with a good tune in your head.
Old 14-03-07, 10:24 PM   #5
21QUEST
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
Well, mine had these two problems last week so I adjusted the bejesus out of the thing, as you do and tightened up as required - reckon I've got about half inch or so of play.
Half an inch of play would mean you have chain slack. I'll go for minium chain slack myself.

Rattle might just be because the chain is too tight. Not good as putting too much pressure on the output shaft and chain.
With a scottoiler working as it should , you should definitely be getting more than 5K out of a chain.
My chain has about 17.5 K nad is just on it's way out. Mainly because of the previous owner as I lube mine every couple of days at the most(engine oil and paint brush)

Ben
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us
21QUEST is offline   Reply With Quote