SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-07-20, 08:40 PM   #1
kolu

Default Phone mount for clip-ons - some ideas for others

Hi all,
as I have a new bike with clip-ons instead of standard bars (Suzuki SV650S) the installation of phone mount seemed to be a bit more tricky. All the usual cheap stuff is just made to be mounted on bars and there was no space on my bars left. And I'm not going to spend 50 quid or what for a bloody RAM mount. So it got me thinking:

The same as on outside ends of my bars there are actually 13mm (or something) holes on the inside ends of my bars. First idea was of course to plug there a big straight bar end and clamp the phone mount on it. It would work well I'd guess. But then the price of bar ends made me thinking of cheaper method (being cheap-ass on reduced pay furlough is no easy business) so I got my hands on:
- 12mm bolt anchor (expanding bolt/rawl bolt) with M10 bolt for 12mm hole, £1.82
- GUB PRO1 aluminium phone holder (after being happy with GUB G-81 on my last bike for a year), £7.22

Different holders would work as well, this is just an example.

I could have drilled a hole for the phone mount to be directly screwed via its stem to the M10 bolt of the anchor, but I couldn't find a correct size tap and then my workshop possibilities are severely limited (espresso machine workshop, not metalworking) so I took a piece of aluminium to make a small bracket between the phone mount stem and anchor bolt. I have bent the bracket to make the phone stand sort-of "upright" and secured the critical parts of the assembly with a dab of epoxy putty.
Another part was the slight struggle to get the anchor inside the bar as it was obviously bit thicker (or maybe I'm quite thick as well having no calipers to measure stuff, lol). I've sawed up the cuts in the anchor (less material = smaller minimum diameter) and ground down the most protruding bits from the outside, then the anchor actually fit snugly and was easy to tighten up.

Anyway - too much words and no picture wouldn't be helpful to nobody so see the pictures. I hope that this might bring some inspiration to anyone else facing similar dilemma like me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg holder1.jpg (116.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg holder2.jpg (103.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg holder3.jpg (115.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg holder4.jpg (98.5 KB, 0 views)
kolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-20, 11:35 AM   #2
shiftin_gear98

Default Re: Phone mount for clip-ons - some ideas for others

Nice bodge.
Old 14-07-20, 04:15 PM   #3
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Default Re: Phone mount for clip-ons - some ideas for others

That's neat. Mine's on the clutch bolt. It was supposed to be for a bodge once...10 years ago and stayed there ever since.