SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-08-08, 07:35 AM   #1
Baz

Default Rear brake caliper

Hello

Went to replace the pads on my back brake the other day to find that the two pins that run through the pads are pretty much welded in. After a lot of questionable language and interesting use of a mole grip and easing fluid managed to get one out but the other is not happening.
It has been suggested that I drill through the caliper and replace the pin with split pin. My worry is that drilling through is going to weaken the caliper and possibly lead to it cracking.
Would it just be easier to get a new one? If so anyone got one, for a 1999 curvy.
Any advice or suggestions welcome.
Old 05-08-08, 07:40 AM   #2
thedonal

Default Re: Rear brake caliper

Had the same problem earlier this year- I ended up drilling the seized pin out.

Whereabouts is it seized in? Is it the hole at the front of the caliper or the socket at the back?

edit- might also be a good time to overhaul the whole caliper and give those pistons a polish and grease!
Old 05-08-08, 08:04 AM   #3
sixstring

If the caliper's not worth saving there's loads of other bikes that use the same caliper - SRAD GSXRs, Hayabusa, Bandit...... I think these bikes share rear calipers, open to corrections
Old 05-08-08, 02:39 PM   #4
shelleyamy

I hacksawed through the pins, so i could spilt the caliper.
Onced split, bit of heat from a blow torch, the remains of the pin came out with mole grips.
Mike
Old 05-08-08, 05:14 PM   #5
thedonal

I ended up drilling mine out- hacked most of it off, then used a small drill bit, then a bigger one. The stub that was seized in came loose, started spinning and dropped out.