SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 31-03-09, 02:06 PM   #1
svdemon

Default Ignition Barrel Sticking

My ignition barrel has become very sticky of late, i gave it a good lubing (oh, as an actress once said to a bishop)and its not helped.

Any advice before i start stripping it down for a look see???
Old 31-03-09, 02:12 PM   #2
panosm

Default Re: Ignition Barrel Sticking

Hello mate,I had this problem as well and still do actually.I used a silicon based spray which acts as a lubricant, it helped quite a bit but it still needs a bit more tlc.others use graphite based sprays or wd40.
Old 31-03-09, 02:18 PM   #3
Baph

The spring likes to stick.

WD40 into the lock, and the cover the key in it. Key in the lock, and give it a short sharp tap with your clenched fist.

Heypresto. Job jobbed. I haven't had to do it on mine in a long while, but did it to another .Org'ers bike recently.
Old 31-03-09, 02:30 PM   #4
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

My GSXR sticks like this now and again and the silicone spray seems to work better than WD40 does

Spray it on the key as said and then put the key in the lock and then wiggle the key about and remove the key, do this a few times.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-09, 05:32 PM   #5
svdemon

Good advice peeps, worked a treat. Gave it a good lubing and then wiggled it for a good while, lubed/wiggled a few more times and its sweet as a nut now!! I used chain lube.

While there i noticed my nose cone was missing a bolt!!! It started to bounce a bit and on further inspection i noticed the top bolt was gone!! Replaced it with a new bolt and locknut.