SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

South & West Surfers Just for the guys and gals in the south and south west of the UK.

Old 07-08-07, 12:26 PM   #1
gettin2dizzy

Default South Wales...

hello! I'm a little lost in my Welsh geography (the names just baffle me!) I'm moving down to Usk, so need to look for some accomodation, but not being a native I have no idea as to where is nice etc.. ( or even the region it's in!)
Pontypool and Newport look like my best bet (even cardiff isn't too far away)- are these nice places or places to avoid? If anyone could spare a minute to give a a list of yays and nays of the area then it's worth a drink when I get down there
Rob.
Old 07-08-07, 12:30 PM   #2
hovis

Default Re: South Wales...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettin2dizzy View Post
hello! I'm a little lost in my Welsh geography (the names just baffle me!) .
me too, but for a free pint...........

depends what your after. village town city?

usk is nice, newport is a bit rough, but i guess it must have its nice parts, cardiff is a bit of a trek,
theres abergavenny monmouth

if you are on a budget look at bargoed,tredegar,rymney

Last edited by hovis; 07-08-07 at 12:36 PM.
Old 07-08-07, 12:34 PM   #3
sarah

Quote:
hello! I'm a little lost in my Welsh geography (the names just baffle me!) I'm moving down to Usk, so need to look for some accomodation, but not being a native I have no idea as to where is nice etc.. ( or even the region it's in!)
Pontypool and Newport look like my best bet (even cardiff isn't too far away)- are these nice places or places to avoid? If anyone could spare a minute to give a a list of yays and nays of the area then it's worth a drink when I get down there
Rob.
like hovis said it depends on what sort of thing you are after.

also what is your budget? and are you looking to houseshare or get somewhere on your own?
Old 07-08-07, 12:43 PM   #4
gettin2dizzy

I'd prefer to get somewhere by myself. Not living there at the moment I can't really trapse in to 10 houses meeting people to see what I like! Budget wise I'm sure I could stretch to £400 month.
Location doesn't **** me, although somewhere in the country would be biketastic (and maybe less likely to go for a ride without me ) Yet there seems to be so many new empty apartments which can go for next nothing in places like cardiff.
Old 07-08-07, 12:53 PM   #5
sarah

Quote:
I'd prefer to get somewhere by myself. Not living there at the moment I can't really trapse in to 10 houses meeting people to see what I like! Budget wise I'm sure I could stretch to £400 month.
Location doesn't **** me, although somewhere in the country would be biketastic (and maybe less likely to go for a ride without me ) Yet there seems to be so many new empty apartments which can go for next nothing in places like cardiff.
In Cardiff for £400/month you'd either have to house/flat share or live somewhere really nasty.

How about Usk? Though I can imagine it could be a bit pricey.

No idea about Pontypool.

Newport is hit and miss. You'd need to choose carefully as there are some rather manky areas that you'd want to avoid. It is fairly cheap compared to Cardiff though and I'd imagine you could get somewhere reasonable for £400.

Pretty much wherever you are in South Wales you are going to be fairly close to some nice roads.

Abergavenny and Monmouth seem nice, both have a Waitroses and pricetags to match!
Old 07-08-07, 12:59 PM   #6
sarah

Caerleon and Chepstow are worth considering too.
Old 07-08-07, 01:05 PM   #7
hovis

caerphilly is ok too
Old 07-08-07, 01:08 PM   #8
sarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovis View Post
caerphilly is ok too
i would have thought that it would be a rubbish commute to usk though
Old 07-08-07, 01:20 PM   #9