SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-12-05, 08:33 PM   #1
AlfBoy

Default Weird Supension problem

I was out riding around some canyons the other day when my supension started to misbehave. My bike would get this weird sensation of going over a lot of little bumps while I was turning. But the road I was on was totally flat, it had been recently paved! I pulled over and checked tire pressure, it was a little low, but still okay. So I adjusted the supension a little bit on the front, and that changed it slightly, However, I continued on and while I was turing the front forks suddenly started to bounce erratically for a few seconds, kinda like stalling the bike only the engine was fine. After that I adjusted the rear suspension a little ( one notch) and it made it feel a little less bumpy but I can still feel it, so the problem is still there. My bike is up to 6100 miles and I had my 4000K mile service and I recently adjusted the drive chain only a 100 miles ago! What could it be?
Old 19-12-05, 09:23 PM   #2
andyaikido

I don't know if your bike's still in warranty but i'd take it back to the dealer either way. The suspension shouldn't be acting like that after only 6k miles. There's probably loads of bearings and linkages you could check but you shouldn't have to on a low mileage bike.
Old 19-12-05, 11:37 PM   #3
AlfBoy

Really? Hmmm, I was planning and taking it back to the dealer and asking them. Maybe I could use the warranty on if it something is seriously gone wrong.
Old 20-12-05, 09:23 AM   #4
skidmarx

Have you checked your chain for tight spots?
Old 20-12-05, 09:33 AM   #5
AlfBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmarx
Have you checked your chain for tight spots?
Nope, I adjusted recently because it was "too tight" apparently. So I loosened it a bit.
Old 20-12-05, 09:40 AM   #6
skidmarx

maybe you should check it again...especially as you have been playing with it recently and it was too tight to start with! Especially as if it is too tight it will WRECK your motor! Get the back wheel off the ground and spin it checking for any tight spots around the whole run of chain. I assume you have tightened all the spindle nuts up properly? I once forgot this and the chain was thrown off going around a corner....I was very lucky..
Old 20-12-05, 07:00 PM   #7
AlfBoy

I don't have any way of raising the bike so I can do that. I'm taking it to the dealer to look at it anyway, because as far as I can tell there isn't much I can do without a service stand.
Old 20-12-05, 07:03 PM   #8
TC3

A paddock stand is a good investment so you may as well get one!
Old 21-12-05, 07:45 AM   #9
AlfBoy

Yeah I have been needing one of those. Too bad I am poor.
Old 21-12-05, 05:15 PM   #10
northwind
Mega Poster

Do you have any friends? You can get one of them to tip the bike on its sidestand, while you check the chain.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote