SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

South & West Surfers Just for the guys and gals in the south and south west of the UK.

Old 07-08-07, 01:28 PM   #11
sarah

Default Re: South Wales...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettin2dizzy View Post
Thats brilliant thanks
I was pretty sure Newport crops up fairly often on 'streetcrimeuk'
there are some nice areas in newport as well as the scummy ones.

i've lived in cardiff for about six and a half years now and worked in newport all that time. i could have saved loads by living in newport but i prefer cardiff- much more going on etc.
Old 07-08-07, 01:39 PM   #12
hovis

what are you after though?

the city life or a nice village/town?

if i was you i would be looking as close to usk as possible, so you dont have to commute too far (in the winter) and abergaveeny is only 15 mins away, why not pop down for the weekend & have a look about?
Old 07-08-07, 01:45 PM   #13
the white rabbit

Usk, Abergavenny, Raglan, Monmouth or just about anywhere in that area or nortwards of Newport is nice. Bit of a quiet life some of those places tho, but some lovely villages between Monmouth and Usk.

You will enjoy the biking.
Old 07-08-07, 02:22 PM   #14
gettin2dizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovis View Post
what are you after though?

the city life or a nice village/town?

if i was you i would be looking as close to usk as possible, so you dont have to commute too far (in the winter) and abergaveeny is only 15 mins away, why not pop down for the weekend & have a look about?
I may just do that Pop down for a weekend when I get a chance The bright lights does have its appeal - but welsh roads look fantastic! I ride around more than I go to bars! It's a pity the property market isn't as saturated as manchester. Anywhere there you can barter the monthly rent down so much it's unbelievable!
Old 07-08-07, 02:28 PM   #15
sarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettin2dizzy View Post
I may just do that Pop down for a weekend when I get a chance The bright lights does have its appeal - but welsh roads look fantastic! I ride around more than I go to bars! It's a pity the property market isn't as saturated as manchester. Anywhere there you can barter the monthly rent down so much it's unbelievable!
if you aren't too fussed about nightlife and are focussing on nearby nice roads then you'll have plenty of places to choose from

probably worth having a look at a map and rightmove to get an idea on property prices in different towns/villages.
Old 07-08-07, 03:37 PM   #16
Ceri JC

Cardiff is a good night on the sauce, as well as culturally (gigs, theatre, comedy, etc) if that's what floats your boat. Unless you really like those things, or are flush I'd look at living elsewhere though. I was looking at Cardiff myself a year back, but when I saw what I could afford in Barry (10 miles from Cardiff, which I can get to in 12 minutes by bike) for the same money, it was a 'no-brainer'. Plus, I live by the sea and can go swimming for free 8 months of the year, cost of living generally is cheaper, nearer the countryside, etc. I honestly go to the same number of shows in Cardiff as if I lived there.
Old 09-08-07, 06:51 PM   #17
tiggers1963

to be honest I would avoid Newport city centre like the plague, especially places like Pill, Maindee, Ringland, St Julians. If you looking at Newport, try somewhere like High cross, Bassaleg, Rogerstone. I'd also look at somewhere like Risca (but NOT Ty Sign), ponyt-mister. Pontypool is getting a pretty poor reputation at the moment so maybe one place to avoid. If your fairly local to South Wales try buying the South Wales Argus on a Thursday, The property pages usually has a lot of rental properties in it, and that should also give you some idea of the prices.

Last edited by tiggers1963; 09-08-07 at 06:53 PM.
Old 09-08-07, 09:29 PM   #18
sarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggers1963 View Post
to be honest I would avoid Newport city centre like the plague, especially places like Pill, Maindee, Ringland, St Julians. If you looking at Newport, try somewhere like High cross, Bassaleg, Rogerstone.
good advice.
Old 10-08-07, 02:33 PM   #19
gettin2dizzy

Brilliant! I may time a visit down there with the a taffia day out
Old 16-08-07, 06:56 PM   #20
thefallenangel

Tried Cwmbran, it's about a 20 minute drive to usk along some nice roads and not too far away from newport and cardiff