SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 01-08-12, 06:52 PM   #21
rowdy

Default Re: buying second hand stuff = headache

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBadger View Post
206 is the best bet.

Mine now 14 years old now 175k miles and still runs like a dream (1.4 still has abit of punt left in it )
Looks nice on the outside and inside so really doesnt even looks its age.

TBH the finish is alot better than on a few friends brand new ford focuses that are only a few years old max.
They can be had pretty cheap to and if you drive it sensibly i can get 600 miles to a tank.

That and the valves are on rockers so an absolute dodle to adjust and parts are a plenty and cheap from ebay or euro spares.
lol. Bolox.
We have one at work. POS.
The headlights like to flash on and off, to do with the column stalk the light switch is mounted on, expensive to replace and this ones on its second and that is on the blink.
Door open warning buzzer and warning sign on dash goes off if I go too quickly around a corner or over a bump.
Suspension is always failing.
I have, on one occasion while driving spiritedly, set the car alight because the turbo got too hot (1.4Hdi) and set the wadding aroung the turbo housing on fire.
Interior light likes to come on and start flashing randomly.
Probably a lot more I have forgotten about.

Oh, and they are made out of crap, as another of our work 206's found out when a Toyota Prius hit the back of it. It was written off but the Toyota didn't have a single dent on it.

At least I don't have to drive the works Vauxhall Combo (biggest piles of shyte I have driven).
Silver pointy sk3, tail tidy, single seat cowl, fairing lowers, smoke double bubble screen, carbon hugger and front mudguard, full race M4 system, K&N filter, GSXR1000K2 forks, wheel and discs, GSXR750 calipers, HEL braided lines, TL1000s clip-ons, Gilles rearsets, Chinese cnc levers, led indies.
rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-12, 07:05 PM   #22
BBadger

never had a single problem with mine ever really just the standard bits wearing out due to age, mileage and the way it gets treated.
and no turbo either plain ol 1.4 petrol.

Edit-
Van drove into the rear wing of mine once while it was parked outside the house.
Small dent in wing, whilst the van lost its and the radiator was leaking.

Not saying they are amazing but from experience it has never missed a beat.

Although ill agree the new ones are a POS ( know someone with a 307 where the windows opened an closed on their own accord ) but the oldies are gooduns.

Last edited by BBadger; 01-08-12 at 07:08 PM.
Old 01-08-12, 07:32 PM   #23
L3nny
Mega Poster

Well this thread has taken a bit of a swerve.

In my experience German cars go wrong just as often as French ones but cost a lot more to fix. Get the best of both worlds and buy Japanese or even Korean.
Old 01-08-12, 07:49 PM   #24
Specialone

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3nny View Post
Well this thread has taken a bit of a swerve.

In my experience German cars go wrong just as often as French ones but cost a lot more to fix. Get the best of both worlds and buy Japanese or even Korean.
I can 100% say that you are a fibber Lenny, I've owned 6 vws now and all have been super reliable (so far), they get a fairly hard life with me too.

The previous company I worked for had French cars as pool cars and company cars, they were always having issues of some kind.
Old 01-08-12, 09:10 PM   #25
L3nny
Mega Poster

Lol well I can only speak from personal experience but I have had 3 306s one of which was bought by my parents and kept for in the family for 12 years and 220,000 miles and hadn't had a single major problem. I have owned a Golf and a Bora and had loads of problems with both.
I do agree that the VWs feel more solid however but as you said that also makes them heavier.
I am probably in the minority and just fortunate with the Pugs I have had however.
Old 01-08-12, 09:32 PM   #26
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdy View Post
lol. Bolox.
We have one at work. POS.
The headlights like to flash on and off, to do with the column stalk the light switch is mounted on, expensive to replace and this ones on its second and that is on the blink.
Door open warning buzzer and warning sign on dash goes off if I go too quickly around a corner or over a bump.
Suspension is always failing.
I have, on one occasion while driving spiritedly, set the car alight because the turbo got too hot (1.4Hdi) and set the wadding aroung the turbo housing on fire.
Interior light likes to come on and start flashing randomly.
Probably a lot more I have forgotten about.

Oh, and they are made out of crap, as another of our work 206's found out when a Toyota Prius hit the back of it. It was written off but the Toyota didn't have a single dent on it.

At least I don't have to drive the works Vauxhall Combo (biggest piles of shyte I have driven).
Sounds like a few Citroens that I have had the displeasure of sitting in/ looking at/ trying to work out WTF going on with!
Most modern french cars are Merde a friend has a Citroen C3 on HP and is on the 3rd one to get a runner

TBH VW's are hit and miss, a contractor (where I'm working) has the caddy's and transporter's and they have killed one in under year (had done 50k in 11 months). They do run 2 years and get shot lease hire

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-12, 07:13 AM   #27
rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsmith View Post
Sounds like a few Citroens that I have had the displeasure of sitting in/ looking at/ trying to work out WTF going on with!
Most modern french cars are Merde a friend has a Citroen C3 on HP and is on the 3rd one to get a runner

TBH VW's are hit and miss, a contractor (where I'm working) has the caddy's and transporter's and they have killed one in under year (had done 50k in 11 months). They do run 2 years and get shot lease hire
I have had three VW's and all have cost me a lot of money to fix (not just replace worn parts).
We also have a VW and Skoda at work and they aren't without fault. Common probs with them nowadays like ABS modules and air con condensors.

Back on topic OP, have you tried GAME for an xbox, they sell second hand and come with warranty having been given the once over.
Silver pointy sk3, tail tidy, single seat cowl, fairing lowers, smoke double bubble screen, carbon hugger and front mudguard, full race M4 system, K&N filter, GSXR1000K2 forks, wheel and discs, GSXR750 calipers, HEL braided lines, TL1000s clip-ons, Gilles rearsets, Chinese cnc levers, led indies.

Last edited by rowdy; 02-08-12 at 07:22 AM.
rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-12, 08:14 AM   #28
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3nny View Post
Lol well I can only speak from personal experience but I have had 3 306s one of which was bought by my parents and kept for in the family for 12 years and 220,000 miles and hadn't had a single major problem.
Unlike every secondhand saxo then which will have 47 previous owners, none of which having ever successfully completed puberty on selling it!

Not all the French stuff is that bad, the 1.9XUD engine is a thing of oily beauty! My mate had a 205D that had been around a bit, absolutely stupid mileage on it, it started rattling a bit at about 300, he kept it for another 20 or so and it still had good compression and did 60mpg.
All we had to do was weld up the back beam which at 15 years old something had to rot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsmith View Post
50k's appalling for a van. The transporters are usually decent. Shame they are fitting hand-grenade-seeking-war common rail on everything these days
Old 02-08-12, 08:32 AM   #29
markc123

I have personally been involved in killing 2 saxos . Havin said that, bith were fun little cars and the pug 106 1.1 I owned was good too.

My VTR received a coach up the rear which wrote it off, and I had a little end fail on a VTS and the con rod came through the block.

And don't buy a second hand xbox, get a new one and worry not about the RROD.
Old 02-08-12, 09:19 AM   #30
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
50k's appalling for a van. The transporters are usually decent. Shame they are fitting hand-grenade-seeking-war common rail on everything these days
Full top end rebuild and new coolant system.
Granted the back of his van is level with tools, pipe benches, oxycet and Tig's

Back on topic, Xbox buy new mate they are cheap enough now!
Saxo's well...

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote