SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-06-13, 08:45 AM   #1
stranger12

Default Sv650 stiff front suspension?

Hi all,
As i am new to sv and this is my first big bike i am nit sure whether the stiffness of the suspension is normal or not

For instance when i go over bumps the fork is really stiff or for example the other day riding on city with slight speed i went over a bump and i was pushed back in my seat ending up with having a streached hand on the grip

Is that all normal ?

Also the turning circle is horrible compared to my 125 is that again normal?
Old 01-06-13, 09:17 AM   #2
dkid

Default Sv650 stiff suspension

Try putting a cable tie round the shiny part of the fork just above the dust seal. Not so tight that it scratches though.
Go for a decent ride and when you get back check where the cable tie is. It should show you how much travel you're using on the forks. You want to be using as much available travel as possible without bottoming out the fork. If the cable tie has not moved very far up the fork then you are too stif at the front.
What do you weigh? SV's are known for being fairly soft as standard and most people want to firm up the suspension.

Do a search for setting sag via the preload adjusters too. A quick read up on this should give you a better idea of what's going on.

Also, when were the forks last serviced with fresh oil? Are the springs stock or aftermarket? All makes a difference.

Last edited by dkid; 01-06-13 at 09:21 AM.
Old 01-06-13, 09:38 AM   #3
stranger12

Default Re: Sv650 stiff suspension

Thanks i am around 21st
I dont know when it was last services and bought it recently
I dont think the front has spring as all i can see is the fork the rear does have one though
Old 01-06-13, 09:50 AM   #4
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

At 21 stone it will be completely bottomed out no matter what you twiddle on the preload.

The suspension is soft, that's why it feels hard, because there's no travel left to do owt.
Old 01-06-13, 09:54 AM   #5
jambo
Mega Poster

The front forks have springs inside, one spring in each fork. As standard these are supporting for a rider of about 10st.

As you're rather heavier than the bike was sprung for there are a couple of possibilities. One is simply that you're not used to how a bigger bike reacts to bumps of you've just moved up from a 125 there's a chance that it'll feel very different.

You may find that someone has put some particularly thick fork springs or oil in there, but I'd say the chances of it being over-sprung for 21st aren't very high.

Finally the forks may be soft, and bottoming out, giving you that hard feeling when you run out of travel.

The cable-tie can help check for option 3, fully compressed the forks stop about 10mm or so underneath the bottom yoke / lower fork clamp. If you're using all of that without trying on the road things may bee a little soft

Welcome! If you need any further advice, saying exactly which sv650 you have, and give any history or modifications you know of

Jambo
Sent from my thingie

Last edited by jambo; 01-06-13 at 09:58 AM.
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-13, 08:42 AM   #6
stranger12

Default Re: Sv650 stiff front suspension?

thank all, I have the 2005 sv pointy shape

I have just bought it recently so have no clue whether the seal or oil /spring has been changed
is there a way to verify these without draining the oil or opening the fork?
Old 02-06-13, 08:51 AM   #7
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Not really no.
You could whack the front preload all the way up and measure the static and total sag, that would give us an idea.
Old 03-06-13, 01:22 PM   #8
mikerj

If the front is regularly bottoming out so hard that it throws you out of your seat then it's a fair bet it's got the standard spring in it.

You might want to look out for a ZZR1400 rear shock as well (or a proper aftermarket job with suitable spring) as the standard rear shock probably has very little travel left as well.
mikerj is offline   Reply With Quote