SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-03-05, 04:25 PM   #1

Default Batteries

Y is it, we pay 52£ for a new battery and less than a yr later its completly usless??

Just had mine checked as it wsnt holding its charge, they said as its a gel filled one it laying on its side wont be a problem (mine has to due to mods) but they have said its unservicable, they are not saying this to get money as they cant even supply the dam thing!

so any one know where i can get a cheap otimate and a new yusa gel filled sv battery

Not happy

Alex
Old 03-03-05, 04:32 PM   #2
Cloggsy

You should have spoken to 'baldood' - He's 'da-man' for batteries
Old 03-03-05, 04:34 PM   #3
Red ones
Mega Poster

The battery is a bit crap - I'm on my third in 4 years - it now stays connected to an Optimate all the time (except when I ride but that is only because the lead is not long enough)
It has to be kept charged right up - the cold and any alarm will kill it in a matter of days
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-05, 04:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red ones
The battery is a bit crap - I'm on my third in 4 years - it now stays connected to an Optimate all the time (except when I ride but that is only because the lead is not long enough)
It has to be kept charged right up - the cold and any alarm will kill it in a matter of days
gonna have to get me an optimate, 50 quid every year for a new battery is takin the ****!
Old 03-03-05, 04:39 PM   #5
embee
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red ones
it'd be worth checking the charging on the bike. One thing which dramatically shortens the life of lead-acid batteries is being only part charged all the time. The regulator/rectifiers on the SV are not of the finest!
embee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-05, 08:40 PM   #6
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

The Yuasa isn't a gel battery, it is sealed though.
Getting through batteries at the rate you are, something else is wrong, most likely the reg/rec unit, they're not good.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-05, 08:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid
The Yuasa isn't a gel battery, it is sealed though.
Getting through batteries at the rate you are, something else is wrong, most likely the reg/rec unit, they're not good.
hmmmm i was told is was gel, ho hum!

checked the reg rec, tis fine, i think its got more to do with the fact i dont ride the bike enough!

my own fault probably!
Old 03-03-05, 09:04 PM   #8
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Reg/rec is fine says who?

Even a perfectly good standard one doesn't keep the battery charged up that well, it's better to fit a different one from a Kawasaki or a Honda instead, a small mod is needed to the wiring - Kawasaki and Honda ones have six wires instead of the original's five.

Batteries need a cycle of charge and discharge to keep them in good order, bikes in infrequent use could well do with the extra charge of a better reg/rec, better still an external charge regularly helps a whole lot.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-05, 10:07 PM   #9
mysteryjimbo

Default Re: Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454697819
Y is it, we pay 52£ for a new battery and less than a yr later its completly usless??
I got mine off Baldood. I also had a similar problem. My battery was useless after about 9 months so he replaced it under waranty, no questions asked!

He's the man!
Old 03-03-05, 10:10 PM   #10

Default Re: Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysteryjimbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by 454697819
I got mine off Baldood. I also had a similar problem. My battery was useless after about 9 months so he replaced it under waranty, no questions asked!

He's the man!

Earth to baldood! if u read this, can you pm me about a battery, will try and pm you tommorrow! Cheers

Alex