SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Tyres Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 01-05-11, 06:10 PM   #31
Specialone

Default Re: Michelin Pilot Road 3's

I've got 4k exactly out of my 020's, but in fairness I've done a trackday on them and I got a puncture on the way down to AR10 with a pillion and luggage and was riding with about 7psi so that ate a good portion of the tyre
I am staggered tbh just how quick the remaining tread on the centre of the tyre wore out.
But it's something I suppose I have to accept if you wanna take a pillion regularly and do some mway miles.
Old 01-05-11, 06:13 PM   #32
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialone View Post
I've got 4k exactly out of my 020's, but in fairness I've done a trackday on them and I got a puncture on the way down to AR10 with a pillion and luggage and was riding with about 7psi so that ate a good portion of the tyre
I am staggered tbh just how quick the remaining tread on the centre of the tyre wore out.
But it's something I suppose I have to accept if you wanna take a pillion regularly and do some mway miles.
I've seen a lot of folk do a weekend away, and get a surprise on the way home when the steel belt appears!
Old 02-05-11, 08:22 AM   #33
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post
Dry grip - I've never come across a modern road tyre that didn't grip in the dry, even the awful D220 Dunlops that come OEM on the SV, and the BT020 "slipstones". If anything the tread pattern will help the tyre warm up, and improve grip.
I had a set fitted on Thursday last and can tell you that dry grip is excellent. There is no tearing on the edges/shoulders yet, despite some spirited riding that would have Avon Storms puckering up...

So far I'm liking the very progressive roll-in to full lean, the front has a very round profile which makes them lean in nicely and are super stable banked over. Downside is that the steering is a lot slower, making fast direction changes harder - it can also feel like the bike is understeering because I expect it turn faster.

So far a happy camper with 400+ miles on them.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-11, 09:04 AM   #34
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
Downside is that the steering is a lot slower, making fast direction changes harder - it can also feel like the bike is understeering because I expect it turn faster.
Hmm, slower steering is definately something the Daytona doesn't need, but then the geometry is already more aggressive than the VFR, and it's only slow steering when compared to other sportsbikes. It's a different bike and may behave differently.

Did you stick with the same sizes and profiles that you had with the Avon Storms?

I'm going up to a steeper a profile on the back, from a 190/50 to a 190/55 in an attempt to speed steering up a bit. The profile on the front will be the same at 120/70.

I've done a lot of reading on it, so this is re-posting what I have read elsewhere, not my own knowledge, but I can see the sense in it. Whilst a lot of people put a 180/55 tyre on, which of course has a steeper profile than a 190/50, that is designed for a 5.5 inch rim, the Daytona is a 6 inch. This means once inflated the tyre is squashed over a wider rim and so it flattens out the profile and is then not much steeper than a 190/50, and you've changed the way in which the tyre was designed to operate. What I have read and the tyre manufacturers seem to agree, is that it's better to have a 190 tyre designed for a 6 inch rim, and increase the profile to 55 to make the tyre happier to roll in from upright and achieve the same profile advantage you'd get normally on a 180/55 on a 5.5 rim. Bigger contact patch on a 190 too means more grip.

Last edited by -Ralph-; 02-05-11 at 08:07 PM.
Old 02-05-11, 10:46 AM   #35
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Yep standard VFR sizes, 120/70 and 180/55. Just washed the bike and had a look at the tyres, hardly look scrubbed in at all, especially the front. I got back from Aberystwyth fairly handy last night as well... Better mileage will be a good thing

Old 03-05-11, 09:35 AM   #36
Specialone

Wheelhouse tyres want £264 ride in ride out for PR3's

It's only £8 less for PR2's !!
Old 03-05-11, 09:49 AM   #37
paiste

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialone View Post
Wheelhouse tyres want £264 ride in ride out for PR3's

It's only £8 less for PR2's !!
What sizes Phil? They quoted me £240 last week for 120/70 and 180/55.
Old 03-05-11, 10:34 AM   #38
Specialone

120/70 zr17 (58w) front,
180/55 zr17 (73w) rear.

The numbers in brackets make a difference as well, when I looked online, adding these in added £16 to the total.
Old 03-05-11, 10:51 AM   #39
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Same sizes and load index as the VFR Phil, I paid £259 RI/RO at Buckley Tyres.

Old 03-05-11, 11:29 AM   #40
Specialone

Thanks mike, at least I'm not getting raped on price then.

Tbh I find it hard to believe the pr2's are still do highly priced, if they come in about £220 I would've gone for them.