SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-03-07, 10:29 AM   #1
Blue_SV650S

Default Spontaneity - Brands Indy

I have quite randomly just booked onto this for tomorrow (Thurs) … anyone else game (there are 3 groups BTW not just this one)

http://www.motorsportvision.co.uk/trackdays/event-details.asp?ProductID=2549
Old 07-03-07, 11:00 AM   #2
Flamin_Squirrel

Default Re: Spontaneity - Brands Indy

Well, I do want to do Brands again at least once this year, but less than 24 hours notice is pushing it!
Old 07-03-07, 11:04 AM   #3
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin_Squirrel View Post
Well, I do want to do Brands again at least once this year, but less than 24 hours notice is pushing it!
I only decided to do it about 10 mins before putting this post up!! ... go on, live a little!!
Old 07-03-07, 11:55 AM   #4
Flamin_Squirrel

Tempted, although after doing Mallory at the weekend the SV gave me a sharp reminder that it needs some attention before going back on track
Old 07-03-07, 12:27 PM   #5
SV650Racer

yup am there testing in the advanced group with my friends Paul Salliss and Reggie Perrin..all on SV's of some shape and form. Think quite a few racers are booked on getting ready for the weekend. Going tonight so see you there.

What group you in???
Old 07-03-07, 01:34 PM   #6
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650Racer View Post

I am going up tonight too, where u staying?

I am in the same group as you then!!

I hope my SV is ok ... haven't started it up, let alone ridden it in over 5 months!! Shock ... I am sure it'll be fine

I also wonder what Brands will be like on an SV?? I get to try out my new ohlins too!

Last edited by Blue_SV650S; 07-03-07 at 01:45 PM.
Old 07-03-07, 01:50 PM   #7
SV650Racer

am staying in the truck tonight with Steve and then Steve is going back to work for the day. Only booked it as havent tried the bike since i have had the engine done and a heavier spring put on the shock..didnt want to just do Friday and find it all wrong, have to rush to sort it and then only have morning practice to get it right!.

Reggie might be down tonight..Paul will be down in the morning.

The rest of the clan are then down Thursday afternoon..got a garage full this weekend..mix of rookies..600's..minitwins..powerbikes and Thunderbikes so plenty will be happening!..cant wait!
Old 07-03-07, 02:07 PM   #8
Blue_SV650S

One of my rationale of booking tomorrow was I was gagging to get out and in the hope it being a BEMSEE w/e that there will be plenty of racers there - so it should up my game from a stock trackday … only problem being if all the 600s and powerbikes etc are there too, it might get a bit manic for my little SV?!??! Do MSV allow laptiming?
Old 08-03-07, 08:39 PM   #9
weazelz

how was it? I was thinking of you whilst I was sat in the office looking out at the dry, sunny day
Old 08-03-07, 09:27 PM   #10
Blue_SV650S

Weather was perfect, especially for this time of year

It was good to get out on the bike again, but to be honest I had a bit of a boring day overall … apart for in one session and a few laps in another, there really was no one for me to play with … the group was quite desolate and those that were there were racers on thous … lets face it, its not even the same league

Met SV650Racer and Chunky, SV650Racer was riding, but missed the first 2 sessions whilst she was getting her act together … and the last couple as her engine - although still going like a train - had started making nasty noises .. ... Chunky turned up later but wasn’t riding, just arriving for his race weekend and the official practice tomorrow (Friday).

I basically had a few goals in mind … not necessarily in this order, but to set up my new shock. To blow the cobwebs away, to see what laptimes I could get at Brands on the SV so I could compare myself to race times. I knew 51.6? seconds was winning pace at MRO at the end of last season. Realistically I figured anything less than a 55 was cool, knowing SV650Racers personal lap record was a 53 on her tunderbike, 53s was my main goal!

First session out … I had set the shock too soft … still, as I was re-learning the track it didn’t really matter I only got about 4 proper laps as it was red-flagged after the first couple (Duke spat its chain off) … anyway, for what it was worth, my last lap was a 57.

Next session out I had hardened the suspension, turned out I had gone too far. 55s with a couple of high 54s - respectable

Session 3, Re-did the suspension 55, 54s and one high 53, but my rear tyre was shot and I ran out of fuel (well the solid light came on).

Swapped rear tyre for one on my other bike that was less worn and tried again. Got a tow from a minitwin and got my times down to constant low 54s with a few mid 53s.

For the remaining sessions it was a very solitary affair … still it allowed me to pick and choose my lines and just relax and let the laps flow. I had been a bit inconsistant to this point. However no real incentive to push it too hard, so just consistent and very comfortable low 54s with a high 53, all within 3 tenths … I felt I could do low 54s all day long if I had to at this point …

Anyway, bearing in mind it was my first outing of the year, I haven’t been to Brands for close on 2 years and never on the SV, using well worn rubber (front was second-hand when I got it and I have done 7? trackdays on it? … it was certainly letting me know it was near the end of its life when doing the 53s …)

Anyhoo, like I said, I spent much of my time by myself, which sux! But it did give me a great opportunity to sort myself out.

I’d like to think that with fresh/new rubber I could have whacked in consistent mid-high 53s, and some low 53s on that day. I’d also like to think that with the engine sorted (later cams and a race pipe, giving me about another 10-12hp) I could be pushing the 52s

It was mentioned that I could compete this weekend as there were spaces … and I deliberated for some time … but decided not to as .. well I didn’t have enough clean pants for 4 days I have prior arrangements Sunday anyway and I’d like to get the engine sorted before competing.

I will be very interested in seeing what laptimes come up at the sharp end of the Minitwin MRO this weekend … if they are only low 53s high 52s, I’ll be kicking myself

Last edited by Blue_SV650S; 09-03-07 at 05:05 PM.