SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-12-05, 05:06 PM   #1
Dennis

Default which engine oil, which brake oil, advice on crash bobbins

Hi All,

I am having to do some maintenance on a Suzuki SV650sK1 and need some info (no manual with me).

What oil does it take, I know 10W-40 but does it need fully synthetic or mineral (mileage 2000mi)

What brake oil, DOT number?

Any advice on crash protectors, I am looking into buying some from intobikes.co.uk >> R&G Racing

Also a hugger >> Red Fox or Pyramid Plastics.

I will also drop the bike through the yokes a bit to get it in line with the back (changed out dogbones).

All this to get the bike in order for my wife who is only 5ft. All help is appreciated. The bike is at my inlaws at the moment and we are staying outside the UK at the moment. When I go over for Xmas I need to do the maintenance and get the new bits installed. So I will order over the internet.

cheers
Dennis
Old 05-12-05, 05:07 PM   #2
Dennis

Forgot to ask, Anyone have advice on a fender extender...trying to [protect the front cylinder a bit.
Old 05-12-05, 05:15 PM   #3
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Semi Synt for the oil will be fine (Silkoline Comp4, Shell VSX (ithink))

Dot4 for the brakes.

As for the crash protectors, people are always saying things about the R&G but at the moment it seems that most people on this forum are having problems with them snapping off very easly even the new design.

Have a look at JHS crash bungs, call them on 0117 986 8844. I think SidSquid has them and rates them highly.
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-05, 05:36 PM   #4
embee
Mega Poster

Yep, a semi-synthetic 10W-40 engine oil is ideal for most use, I would recommend sticking to a bike-specific oil (the can will have "JASO-MA" somewhere on it) which is tested to be suitable for wet clutches. Others say they have used car type oils with no problems, but I prefer to play it safe. Castrol GPS is my personal choice.

Brake fluid - any of the DOT4 variants will be fine for road use, or you can use a DOT5.1 but not a DOT5 (a bit confusing but DOT5 is not an ester based fluid and is intended only for competition use really).

As for lowering, I carved some of the seat foam away on my 2001 SK1 which improved the riding position no end for me (even though I'm 6' near enough). Cut a curve about 20-25mm deep in the middle, leaving the front and rear edges alone. A hacksaw works well on the foam. You just need a decent staple gun to refit the cover (warm it using a hairdryer to get a good fit).

....and definitely fit a fender extender.......
embee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-05, 11:35 PM   #5
northwind
Mega Poster

The old JHS bungs were really good but they don't supply them any more sadly. I was very impressed with the new R&Gs, they worked really well after a big, big hit- whole bike was kicked into the air and hammered down on its side. The bung bent, as they're designed to, but didn't bend. But TSM's right. there's been some less-good reports.

Thing is, the parts are very expensive- the bolts are designed to bend to help soak up impacts, but that means that after any decent-sized crash you'll want a new bolt and bung... And that comes to about £40.

So, rather than do that, I just fitted a set of Motosliders. Nate just posted a price for UK delivery- do a search for posts by "Motosliders" and see what you get. I paid £93 delivered in the UK for a set of bungs, a set of spare sliders, and a set of swingarm sliders! They're not common over here but the SV Rider mob can't get enough of them, everyone uses them.

I use Castrol GPS semi-synth, because it's a pretty colour and easily available.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-05, 10:41 AM   #6
Dennis

Thanks for all the info I will order some parts and oil in advance so I can get to work when I get there.

Two more questions:

Any experience with Pyramid Hugger and Fender Extenda?

Does a hugger still fit when the bike lowered 2".

cheers
Dennis