SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-10-10, 10:08 AM   #21
barwel1992

Default Re: Nitron Shock, Money well spent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf1234 View Post
No I had a go on a curvy with a GSXR shock, and to be fair it felt good.

However my bike was brand new so I wanted a brand new shock on it. I had a K6 so I know how carp standard was. I am a similar weight to you so I needed to upgrade.

Everything point to a Nitron or Hagon. Nitron won on customer reviews.
fair enough, seeing as though it was a new bike, i would do the same. PS im to heavy for the gsxr shock but will sort it out at some point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650Racer View Post
Yes!!. I rode an SV650 that a customer brought in for setup. Now im used to riding all my bikes on Ohlins or similar and the GSXR shock just felt wrong and no where near as plush or controlled. I guess once you have been spoilt its hard to go back!.

Plus as had been said, the Nitron shocks are fetching good money used so in the long term are a good investment.

The SV650 is worth it, the chassis is excellent so hiding under the subtle exterior is a real little missle waiting to get out!
ohh i know the sv is worth it ( thats why i have spent an arm and a leg on it)

maybe i should find some one with a proper shock and ride there bike, to me the gsxr one feels fine (apart from me been a fat sh*t )

maybe then i will be convinced that a good purpose built shock is worth the £££
Old 25-10-10, 10:08 AM   #22
danf1234

Quote:
Yes!!. I rode an SV650 that a customer brought in for setup. Now im used to riding all my bikes on Ohlins or similar and the GSXR shock just felt wrong and no where near as plush or controlled. I guess once you have been spoilt its hard to go back!.

Plus as had been said, the Nitron shocks are fetching good money used so in the long term are a good investment.

The SV650 is worth it, the chassis is excellent so hiding under the subtle exterior is a real little missle waiting to get out!
Also if the likes of SJ's are saying they are good, then that's good enough for me!
Old 25-10-10, 10:12 AM   #23
SV650Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by barwel1992 View Post
fair enough, seeing as though it was a new bike, i would do the same. PS im to heavy for the gsxr shock but will sort it out at some point.

ohh i know the sv is worth it ( thats why i have spent an arm and a leg on it)

maybe i should find some one with a proper shock and ride there bike, to me the gsxr one feels fine (apart from me been a fat sh*t )

maybe then i will be convinced that a good purpose built shock is worth the £££
Be worth you trying one and doing a report on it. I havent got one here now Steve sold his bike, would have been good to get an Org'er to ride his bike and see what they thought!.
Old 25-10-10, 10:22 AM   #24
barwel1992

might just have to buy one, when i get some money. although i would be looking at a penske and not a nitron
Old 25-10-10, 10:36 AM   #25
SV650Racer

Yup Penske are good too. I have an account with them so if you can find a used one and want a deal let me know.
Old 25-10-10, 10:41 AM   #26
barwel1992

Quote:
Yup Penske are good too. I have an account with them so if you can find a used one and want a deal let me know.
cool, would only be looking at the 2 way because of cost.

i could then stick the gsxr and the penske on the shock dyno at collage
Old 26-10-10, 05:13 PM   #27
awkwardbydesign

I bought a Nitron race shock last year, for trackday use, and had it set up by Peter Gifford. Well worth the money. And yes, I have used a GSXR shock. The Nitron was built and sent the same day I ordered it! RaceTech/Traxxion fork internrals, 16.8W oil, Maxton springs, '99 GSXR 600 front calipers with Bendix pads, and anything that passes me on the straights gets outbraked at the bends. Oh, and a steering damper is good, especially coming onto the straight at Brands! I only weigh 62 kilos, so an SV700 is better for me than the 'Blade ever was.
Old 26-10-10, 05:17 PM   #28
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by barwel1992 View Post
but is that shock really that much better to warrant the £325 price difference between the nitron and the £25 k3 gsxr 1000 shock that would suit most people that are around 15 stone and it is slightly longer than standard giving better turn in granted its still not long enough and the valving is slightly out.
I've got a penske worth over £500 on mine and yes it is worth it. That is after trying most of common swap shocks back to back as well. No comparison!
Old 28-10-10, 06:24 PM   #29
tim8061

A Hagon shock, front springs and oil is a cheaper alternative that will also transform your ride c.f. original suspension!