SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

View Poll Results: Who works on your bike???
All done by myself 27 45.00%
Done myself and/or with mates help 5 8.33%
Some myself, some by an independant mechanic 11 18.33%
Independant mechanic 2 3.33%
Some myself, some by dealer 10 16.67%
Dealer only 2 3.33%
What is bike maintenance? 3 5.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17-02-15, 10:43 AM   #31
Moleman

Default Re: Who does your bike maintenance??

Cheers bud,

Yeah that was what I was kind of thinking it might cost. I do some stuff myself but think this and the cam adjustment checks will have to be done this year by the local indy. Will be a costly trip I suspect.. Will give them a call in a couple of weeks and ask when I book for a rough figure ouch..
Old 17-02-15, 11:28 AM   #32
Cymraeg_Atodeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moleman View Post
Cheers bud,

Yeah that was what I was kind of thinking it might cost. I do some stuff myself but think this and the cam adjustment checks will have to be done this year by the local indy. Will be a costly trip I suspect.. Will give them a call in a couple of weeks and ask when I book for a rough figure ouch..
The valve check I had done by an independant, but, only because that is getting into advanced motor stuff and I don't have the tools.

The rear bearings are quite easy if you've got a way to support the bike without a rear swingarm, which also currently I don't.

Going forward it'll all be brought "in house" bar MoTs
Old 17-02-15, 12:24 PM   #33
Moleman

I had a quick look at removal of swinging arm, don't have the castle tool needed and no way of supporting the bike I feel comfortable with otherwise looked OK. I have done bearings before with no probs but will feel better paying this time I think. As for me valves not a job I would want to get stuck into as lack confidence to be honest.
Old 17-02-15, 12:35 PM   #34
Cymraeg_Atodeg

Castle tool comes in handy as it is used at the front as well as the back and I have one from when I changed front forks.
Old 17-02-15, 12:48 PM   #35
Ratty

The swing arm nut tool is quite cheap on ebay. Also check that the bearings are definately worn because it may be the notorious end float which can be shimmed out. My bearings just needed a regrease at 20000 miles but I had to shim out the end float on the swinger. Valve checking is quite easy and shim changing is less of a hassle on the SV1000 because you don't have to disturb the camchains. I took the rad off for easier access and because I was changing coolant anyway.

Ratty
Old 17-02-15, 04:38 PM   #36
Moleman

Yes I did see the castle nut tool on ebay but had decided I probably didnt want to sort the job myself. When I had mot they showed me there was play left/right at the swining arm which they put down to bearing worn, I didnt know about end float issue but will be worth looking into first I think. Bike is great and cleanest I have seen to date but want to get it sorted as I am hankering for a 1000 the 650 is a great fun bike and with the suspention all being sorted it handles starts and stops with the best of them but I have a sv1000 stuck in my mind so get mine fixed and will prob be looking to chop it in in the next few months all being well.

Thanks for the replies guys
Old 17-02-15, 08:00 PM   #37
Ratty

left right movement along the pivot spindle is not bearings. It's the end float.
SV1000's are ace. Let me know when you need to know anything.

Ratty
Old 17-02-15, 09:22 PM   #38
Moleman

Yeah has def slight left/right wiggle only slight but it's there. Never used to be a fan of the SV in the budget bike war I pref the fazer and had a new well almost new 600 of 2000 vintage. Had a go quite a while back on a curvey that was for sale local just before I bought the one I have. It was quite a poor example and dispute being 1 owner had been poorly maintained so travelled for the one I got now and no regrets these are very under rated bikes and a cracking fun machine even though soft front and cheap rear shock lets it down, mine have all been replaced and it's better for it.
I do like the 1000 though, had a look at two now but neither were quite right.. I am a bit fussy.. If poss I would like a black half faired one but not found one yet mods not bothered about as happy to tweek to my taste over time just need to sort my one out ready to sell and would never sell knowing it had faults so need to sort first and then trawl the net for a good 1000 happy days

Last edited by Moleman; 17-02-15 at 09:25 PM.