SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-01-16, 12:44 PM   #1
Alkers

Default Electrical Connector beneath airbox

I've been having on-going issues with my headlights not working. I've traced the problem back to the electrical connector beneath the airbox. If I wiggle this at all, my headlights will come on and off intermittently. I've given the contacts a good clean but the problem still remains and sometimes I've no headlights at all. I've managed to get a quick fix working by cable tying the cables at a certain angle but it will probably fail again soon. I was thinking of just cutting the cables either side of the connector and connecting them up individually but thought I'd first see if a replacement connector was available? Any ideas?
Alkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-16, 12:53 PM   #2
damienga15de

Default Re: Electrical Connector beneath airbox

I'm not familiar with that particular connector but a lot of issues on cars iv found have been rectified by spreading the male parts and closing the female parts making the connection a bit tighter .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 18-01-16, 12:53 PM   #3
Corny Gizmo

Is it the green connector? if so, its a well known issue, most people cut the connector out and find a better replacement that is up to the job and wont melt.
Old 18-01-16, 01:16 PM   #4
Alkers

It's not a green connector no and it doesn't appear melted. It's got about 8 wires going into in from either side and includes the ignition circuits etc. I'll try to get a pic up.
Old 18-01-16, 08:23 PM   #5
Toooldtodie

Just bypass them.
Use decent connectors and weather proof them.
Plenty of info on the forum. From memory (not that good) it's the white and orange ones (they're one on top the other in the block connector). If you look closely you'll probably see the blackened pins where they've been arcing across. Will attach wiring diagram on another post if you need it.
Old 18-01-16, 08:26 PM   #6
Toooldtodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toooldtodie View Post
Just bypass them.
Use decent connectors and weather proof them.
Plenty of info on the forum. From memory (not that good) it's the white and orange ones (they're one on top the other in the block connector). If you look closely you'll probably see the blackened pins where they've been arcing across. Will attach wiring diagram on another post if you need it.
Think it's here!!
Nope I'll try again. Invalid file.

Last edited by Toooldtodie; 18-01-16 at 08:29 PM.
Toooldtodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-16, 08:32 PM   #7
Toooldtodie

Yellow and white.
Old 21-01-16, 12:42 PM   #8
Ratty

I've just fixed the problem on my SV1000SK5. It's the yellow wires in the black connector. I extracted the wires from each side and found they were not burned like some. The male a female were very loose when connected and were also corroded. I scraped the surfaces clean and squeezed the female to grip tighter, cleaned all the contacts again and put it all back together. Now working fine. I think this is the wire that turns the lights off during starting. Earlier 1000's didn't have this which I think overloaded the green connector. My green connector is fine after 30000 + miles.

Hope this helps.
Alan

Last edited by Ratty; 21-01-16 at 12:43 PM.
Ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-16, 07:25 PM   #9
Alkers

Thanks for the comments. I just cable-tied the connection together when looking at it the last time and it was working for a while but has since stopped again.

@Toooldtodie - I can't see anything

This is the connection that is causing the issues:

The connector gets very warm within minutes of the ignition being on.

I guess I'll pick up some block connectors and just replace the entire connection, it's tricky enough to get at though.
Old 07-02-16, 07:55 PM   #10
Toooldtodie

To be honest it is a faff, but in the long run it's worth doing. The main culprits are the yellow and white wires which just need the treatment!
The joy of turning the key and seeing headlights time and again, more than make up for the effort... trust me.
The reason the connector gets hot is it's arcing across the pins... not good!