SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 01-01-19, 09:04 AM   #6811
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
Fireworks ******s have started already, and it's not even midnight.
Was nearly 1am when they finished here, and as we're in a valley they bounce back and forth around the hills making them worse. Selfish barstewards - just because you eventually got back from the pub/party so late does not mean you have carte blanche to set off bomb-burst fireworks then instead of at midnight. Take the wretched things with you and let them off at midnight if you must instead of waking everyone else up yet again. Gits.
Old 01-01-19, 09:13 AM   #6812
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Trev View Post
Was nearly 1am when they finished here, and as we're in a valley they bounce back and forth around the hills making them worse. Selfish barstewards - just because you eventually got back from the pub/party so late does not mean you have carte blanche to set off bomb-burst fireworks then instead of at midnight. Take the wretched things with you and let them off at midnight if you must instead of waking everyone else up yet again. Gits.
Bomb blasts describe the din around here last night. The volume was rediculous. I just feel for those with animals they must have been terrified.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 01-01-19, 04:03 PM   #6813
Bibio
Mega Poster

i've been reviewing my prescription in order for coming appointments at the hospital... the idiots have got me on two diabetes medications.. no wonder i have been feeling shizz and had an upset stomach.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-19, 07:21 PM   #6814
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

At in laws in Cornwall for New Year and the "broadband" that they're paying BT for down here is worse than 90s dial-up. I'm not exagerating. Each time I'm here I phone BT and complain that they're ripping our family off and someone at the help centre usually magically makes everything work at a more useable speed for a while. But... it gradually slows again and each time we come back the situation is the same. I'm convinced they do it on purpose as they always seem to be able to solve it... temporarily.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-19, 08:55 PM   #6815
kaivalagi
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
At in laws in Cornwall for New Year and the "broadband" that they're paying BT for down here is worse than 90s dial-up. I'm not exagerating. Each time I'm here I phone BT and complain that they're ripping our family off and someone at the help centre usually magically makes everything work at a more useable speed for a while. But... it gradually slows again and each time we come back the situation is the same. I'm convinced they do it on purpose as they always seem to be able to solve it... temporarily.
They'll be traffic shaping and as the network is over subscribed everyone gets choked...until you call that is, which will result in a reset, so the choking is reapplied gradually and things are better at first

Best option is to try another provider and hope that they're not over subscribed in the area and/or to try and find a plan where you pay more to be a higher priority customer where traffic shaping isn't as bad on you

But, they all barstewards looking to increase the customer base without spending on better more performant infrastructure

Triumph and Suzuki owner

Last edited by kaivalagi; 01-01-19 at 08:57 PM.
kaivalagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-19, 09:22 PM   #6816
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaivalagi View Post

Best option is to try another provider ...

There is no other provider in the area. Middle of nowhere in Cornwall. Still paying loads more than we do back home for decent service (most of the time) with Virgin Media.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-19, 09:05 AM   #6817
shiftin_gear98

Work
shiftin_gear98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-19, 12:03 PM   #6818
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Spent this morning taking the Xmas decs down. Am I the Grinch?

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
Old 02-01-19, 12:32 PM   #6819
Kenzie

Nope, ours came down on Sunday.

Sent from my Xperia using Tapatalk
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-19, 01:19 PM   #6820
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaivalagi View Post
They'll be traffic shaping and as the network is over subscribed everyone gets choked...until you call that is, which will result in a reset, so the choking is reapplied gradually and things are better at first

Best option is to try another provider and hope that they're not over subscribed in the area and/or to try and find a plan where you pay more to be a higher priority customer where traffic shaping isn't as bad on you

But, they all barstewards looking to increase the customer base without spending on better more performant infrastructure
Yup - they choke down the line speed, we are with Plusnet ( part of BT now but used to be privately owned Yorkshire based ) and getting over 70 meg download and 17 meg upload over a phone line. Ditched Virgin about 3 months ago because they were expensive and so far Plusnett are great. They did say to leave router powered up all the time as if you power it down the exchange will treat it as an unstable line and cut the speed.

@AdamEf do your relatives leave their modem / router powered up all the time ?

here is some advice from BT website.

When you switch off the Hub, your broadband looks like it's disconnecting. This makes the line look unstable and the broadband speed may be automatically reduced to make the line more reliable. So it's best to leave your Hub on - even at night - to get the best speeds and performance.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 02-01-19 at 01:29 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote