SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-03-19, 09:14 PM   #1491
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Default Re: What have you tinkered with today?

I'll give that a try. Thanks
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-19, 01:05 AM   #1492
Heorot

Cooking foil and Coca Cola. Not the diet type. Works well on stainless steel. The acid in the coke is the catalyst.

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-19, 07:37 AM   #1493
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Harpic power max works a treat

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 12-03-19, 08:00 AM   #1494
Craig380
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Harpic power max works a treat
+10. It's only a quid from Tesco / Sainsbury. Apply it with an old paintbrush, I've used both a brush and a sponge and the brush is WAY more effective. Agitate it a little with the brush, leave for 10 minutes then rinse with water.

Gets all the crud off and leaves a 'brushed stainless' finish which you can then polish with Autosol to make it shiny.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-19, 10:57 AM   #1495
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftin_gear98 View Post
My rear brake hadn't seen any movement of the pedal for about 5 months! The front brake and engine brake count as a vehicle having two brakes. Maybe.
I tend to use rear brake to signal I am slowing down, just tap the pedal to alert following vehicles because as you say the engine is doing most of the braking.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-19, 11:03 AM   #1496
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
I tend to use rear brake to signal I am slowing down, just tap the pedal to alert following vehicles because as you say the engine is doing most of the braking.
I do the same with the rear brake or flick my Front lever 3 times.

Also for keeping linkages from seizing/corroding and keeping them slick and I'm lazy.I use GT85 lube around all my linkages/levers etc.

Best price when on offer Wilkos,

https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/gt85-oil...00ml/p/0337625

£3.00

I also use it to re-waterproof my gloves/boots etc(Do outside the house).Stops the stitching rotting as well

I also use my rear brake to stabilize slow speed maneuvering in traffic.

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 12-03-19 at 11:04 AM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-19, 02:08 PM   #1497
SV650rules
Mega Poster

The Range also do GT85 at a good price pretty much all the time as well as Redex every so often..

https://www.therange.co.uk/search?q=...&page=1&lpp=24

The range also used to sell Wynns clear lube PTFE chain spray at a great price but have not seen it in our local one for a good 12 months or more

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 12-03-19 at 02:20 PM.
Old 13-03-19, 09:17 AM   #1498
graham04

Used Harpic on my Triumph Dolomite stainless tail pipe yesterday. Worked brilliantly, could have managed with the finish, but used some solvo and now have a very shiny exhaust. 2 quid in Asda well spent.
graham04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-19, 02:36 PM   #1499
Othen

I adjusted the brake light switch on my K6 yesterday - an easy enough job that took 5 minutes, but while I was at it I noticed that a layer of crud had accumulated behind the footrest hangers, so I thought I'd take them off and have a good spring clean behind. An easy job I hear you say, and it was until I came to the two allen bolts that attach the master cylinder. The bolt heads seem to be made of brie - and it looked like someone had tried to remove them previously - anyway, the internal hexagons both rounded off... an hour trying to chisel the bolts out bore no fruit, so I ended up drilling the heads off both bolts, which got the assembly apart.

I now had the problem of removing two short steel studs from the aluminium body of the master cylinder - but at least I could get it in the vice on the workbench. One had quite a long stub, so I managed to weld a nut to the top and eventually (after a bit of fire and water and a lot of penetrating oil) it screwed out, but boy was it tight! The other one is still soaking in penetrating oil, I'll try cutting a notch in the top of the stud so I can use a screwdriver on it.

Every time I think I have this bike beaten it fights back!

Alan
Old 13-03-19, 03:18 PM   #1500
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
The bolt heads seem to be made of brie - and it looked like someone had tried to remove them previously - anyway, the internal hexagons both rounded off... an hour trying to chisel the bolts out bore no fruit, so I ended up drilling the heads off both bolts, which got the assembly apart.
I learned the hard way many years ago never to skimp on tool quality - not only are the cheap allen keys made of mild steel and round off easily but they are very often not accurate on their size, and have rounded instead of fairly sharp corners anyway - so they will not fit very well. Same with spanners, and I also try to get full hex sockets as well to give max grip on the bolt head, but if the bolt is gonna shear off anyway because its made of cheese metal the full hex won't help - but at least it stops corners of bolt head rounding off...

Good tools will last a lifetime anyway with a moderate amount of care ( eg. not using a ratchet as a hammer ) and save much more than their purchase price.. win-win