SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-06-10, 12:15 AM   #1
dill89

Default BMW S1000RR - Anyone here got one?

Just pretty much an inquiry.

Ive read a lot about the S1000RR, what with it being the most powerful litre sports bike out there with I think it is around 182ish rwhp, and was just basically wondering if anybody on the org has bought one, or knows of someone who has bought one.

Reason I ask is 1)due to all the hype I heard over it and 2)in the opening couple of months after it's release it took like 53% of total litre sports bikes sales, leaving GSXR1000, ZX-10R, R1 and Fireblade with 47% combined... but in saying that, I am yet to spot one on the road in Northern Ireland.

Any input/reviews/photos would be good
Old 20-06-10, 04:23 AM   #2
Razor

Default Re: Bmw s1000rr

i've seen one on the road, but it was a rapidly disappearing blue and white spec in the distance before i realised what it was
Old 20-06-10, 07:24 AM   #3
G
Mega Poster

I know one person who bought one but it's done about 49 miles like all his other bikes!

Seen loads on the roads though.
Old 20-06-10, 08:08 AM   #4
lukemillar
Mega Poster

A guy here is racing one in the winter series an he is damn quick! He is running the the race kit with TC and a quickshifter, but a standard motor and is roughly on pace with the superbikes which is pretty good for a stock engine!

Looks great, sounds great and if/when I contemplate a 1000cc, the beemer is by far the top of the wish list!
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-10, 08:28 AM   #5
Berlin

I've seen two on the road and more on the track. I race with a guy who runs one in another class. In the last wet race out he was the only one to come off!... because he left the traction control in Slick mode Accordingly he didn't know how to change it.

Nice bit of kit but I'd personally have just as much fun on the road on an old RD350.

C
Old 20-06-10, 08:29 AM   #6
Tim in Belgium

I've seen a few at the 'Ring, they definitely look best in the motorsport colours (more expensive) and the adjustable bmw rearsets (another extra) look fantastically engineered. The standard bike isn't that special to look at detail wise, probably how they've managed to keep the bike in the same price level as the others. The couple of guys I've spoken to did like them, one of whom was properly fast on track.
Old 20-06-10, 09:36 AM   #7
dill89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berlin View Post
I've seen two on the road and more on the track. I race with a guy who runs one in another class. In the last wet race out he was the only one to come off!... because he left the traction control in Slick mode Accordingly he didn't know how to change it.

Nice bit of kit but I'd personally have just as much fun on the road on an old RD350.

C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim in Belgium View Post
I've seen a few at the 'Ring, they definitely look best in the motorsport colours (more expensive) and the adjustable bmw rearsets (another extra) look fantastically engineered. The standard bike isn't that special to look at detail wise, probably how they've managed to keep the bike in the same price level as the others. The couple of guys I've spoken to did like them, one of whom was properly fast on track.
Waow guys, going racing, brill!!

Berlin do you race in a series or just for fun?

And time, same question, series at the 'Ring or just for fun?
Old 20-06-10, 09:52 AM   #8
Tim in Belgium

Just touristenfahrten (arrive and drive with cars, buses etc.) fun at the 'Ring.
Old 20-06-10, 10:14 AM   #9
Berlin

Its fun.. 'till you fall off

Racing with NEMCRC and MelvilleMC
C
Old 20-06-10, 11:14 AM   #10
nik_nunez

been out with 2 different ppl that have them they both love them and say they are the best bike they have ever ridden and they are very very very quick. but i think with all the extras they are something like 15-17k or something(might be way off), which for a bike is crazy. i dont like how its not symmetrical the head lights are differnet but so are both fairings, right hand side has slits and left is smoother, its just not right. for the money if you want a 1000 i would get a 2nd hand gixer 1000 spent 3-4k modding it and still have a few thousand saved over the bmw