SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-04-11, 02:07 AM   #1
madmaxlp2002

Default Questions about performance!

So I just got my SV650S 2 days ago I put about 130 miles on it so far(of course I couldnt ride today or even for the next few days because of the rain). When I was purchasing the bike at a local dealoship, I was looking @ a gsx 600, and a 600rr but then after I got the quotes for the insurance per month I almost $hit my pant lol...So I was directed to the SV and bought it thurdays day night. I am still in the break-in period of the motorcycle(keeping the rpms between shifts @ or below 5500 rps) and noticed the lack of power I so seeming wished for from a sports bike. I understand its not a super bike I knew that going into it. So My question is if I Mod this thing Pipe, power supply, air filter etc, can I get it to hang with the gsxer's (600s) light to light? Or can I @ least get them close with in a coupla bike lengths? God I just dont want to be the slowest of my friends this summer...lol. thx for any and all suggestions Mates!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mobile phone 122 (1).jpg (123.1 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg mobile phone 126.jpg (127.6 KB, 39 views)
Old 17-04-11, 02:39 AM   #2
Nelson

Default Re: Questions about performance!

Give it a bit of time to settle in, and get used to the bike. It wont be like a gixxer or cbr rr, that's why the insurance is so different, but you should have enough power to make it enjoyable for sure!

IMO Biking isn't about the traffic light drag, or "keeping up" and the quicker you chaps learn that, the better...
Old 17-04-11, 02:45 AM   #3
madmaxlp2002

Yeah well thats fine my gas milage is awesome @ least thx bro for the comment!
Old 17-04-11, 04:17 AM   #4
toxic

Even though it's a v-twin, you can still rev it. Once it's run in anyway.
If you need more acceleration fit a a 1 tooth smaller front sprocket. This will affect your top speed though.
An exhaust is a must anyway
Old 17-04-11, 04:34 AM   #5
madmaxlp2002

thats a great Idea sounds good! thx again, screw top speed......lol.
Old 17-04-11, 05:31 AM   #6
mattb200

I am assuming it is not restricted? If not trust me you have a lot more fun to come!
between 6-9k rpm is where the fun is and through the twisties....
I had my SK3 since new (7 years) and although sometimes i think i would like more power in all fairness its got enought to get you into trouble..
Old 17-04-11, 05:33 AM   #7
mattb200

oh and like already said exhaust is a must! got mine after having bike for 3 years and immediately wished had done it sooner.
Old 17-04-11, 07:24 AM   #8
madmaxlp2002

Yeah I'mdefinitlygonnado that, and a KN Air filter next check. thx and Ill report back after I bolt on! thx again man
Old 17-04-11, 08:27 AM   #9
timwilky
Mega Poster

I am judging by your initial post that you are still a pup.

You will learn in life that it is not how quick, but how well that matters.

The SV is no slouch, but as I was left for dead over Shap by my bro on an 1198 the other week the little gsxr 600 isn't that quick either.

So get the saddle time in, learn to ride it and enjoy the twisties where you will have advantage over the 600 sports. There is very little you can do to improve performance short of a total engine rebuild. Do not be fooled by anything electronic or expensive. so invest in the part on the seat and improve that first.

Last edited by timwilky; 17-04-11 at 08:28 AM.
timwilky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-11, 09:17 AM   #10
The Idle Biker

I'd agree with TW. I've just come back from a 3 hour (early start) trot around the twisties on the South Coast. A few months ago the guys on sports bikes were leaving me for dead, but not so now.
Riding smooth is the key and the good thing about the SV is that if you find yourself one gear too high for the corner there's still enough oomph to get you going again without changing line and dropping a gear.

Enjoy it. Anyway those go faster stripes are worth an extra 10mph surely!