SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-02-13, 09:57 PM   #41
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country
Default Re: Project: Garage Find

Sludge fork oil!
Its at least 20 years old

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-13, 10:05 PM   #42
the business

Hi best of luck with the bike, look's like a good find, I,m sure I have a mech mag about the tzr, wil look for is a restoration mag, will email if find , wil look for in week
Old 04-02-13, 01:40 AM   #43
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

One of the first signs of crash damage I noticed when I picked the bike up apart from the missing fairings was the dent in the tank (unfortunately I can't find a picture of that at the moment). So in the time that the bike was sat in the garage I went about the task of locating a replacement tank. I ended up with two of them via eBay.

And

Both were sold as having no damage. The first I knew very little about other than some surface rust inside as the seller wasn't sure what bike it was from. The second was sold as no rust inside or out. Lets take a closer look at those claims...

Well at least they didn't cost me too much.

So I started looking round at options. There was a company that could clean the rust out, repair, test, etc the tanks but the cost would be approximately the same as a new tank if only Yamaha still sold them. The other option I knew of was to treat the rust with either Electrolysis or some chemical treatment. While that sounded the cheapest I wasn't convinced that it or for that matter I would be suitable for this. So I talked to a local car restorers and was pointed in the direction of a local company that could acid dip the tanks. This would clean the rust out and remove the existing paint ready for a new coat.

So I took the tanks up to Chemiclean Swindon and for £25 a tank they baked the old paint off, acid dipped the tank, and cleaned it all off for me.

The result was two tanks that then looked like this on the outside:

And this on the inside:

However the only downside to the acid is it takes all the rust and paint off, so if that was the only thing holding the fuel in the tank, well not any more.

And more holes all over here.

In fact the holes are everywhere. The white tank came out of it better than the red as that resembled a sieve more than a tank, but both are far from water tight.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR

Last edited by squirrel_hunter; 04-02-13 at 01:42 AM.
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-13, 07:45 AM   #44
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Has that one already had a brazed repair?
Old 04-02-13, 01:06 PM   #45
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Not from me that's for sure. It's how it came out of the acid dip, the other tank had similar brazing on it but I've not got a picture of that or can compare it anymore. I presume that is how Yamaha made it, though couldn't be sure. The tanks were second hand so have no idea of the history, but then I also don't know the manufacturing process that is used.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
Old 04-02-13, 01:17 PM   #46
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Fair enough, brazing can be good for repairing stuff like this. Be careful to keep them somewhere dry now they're stripped as flash rusting is likely.
Old 04-02-13, 01:40 PM   #47
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

There may be some flash rusting on the tank that I have that's been photographed. The other one I don't know as its not currently in my possession.

I've looked into this and have thought about treatment of the tank. There are some products out there but it appears hit or miss and I can't find anything really definitive. So what I am currently doing is leaving them as is on the basis that Yamaha never put anything in them other than petrol. However if I get the other tank back and it has had some rust showing on the inside then I will treat it with some remover and then sealant. But I think that the acid dip was a good way of going as I can't see any of the other processes having the same effect as the acid did on it.

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
Old 04-02-13, 01:50 PM   #48
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Rust remover is phosphoric acid, likely the same stuff it's just been dipped in.

I'm not saying getting it dipped was bad, on the contrary it does a REALLY good job of exposing bare metal, just be careful now it's exposed that it doesn't get damp or it will be ginger in minutes.
Old 05-02-13, 01:07 AM   #49
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

So time to strip down the wheels for powder coat. For example the front wheel.

First to remove the old tyre a Dunlop Arrow Max on the front and a Yokohama R-205 on the rear. I didn't even know that Yokohama made bike tyres.

Anyway with the tyre off I popped the dust seals out and placed the rim on a couple of blocks off wood to have a go at removing the bearings.

However at this point I'm stuck. Is there a trick to this? I have a hammer and drift and have moved the internal spacer slightly but I can't seam to get a good enough purchase on the inner race to tap it out. I suppose I could try and move the spacer more by tapping the drift on it but don't want to risk damaging it. So is there something else I can try or do I just need to persevere with the little grip I can get on the bearing and hope for the best?

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
Old 05-02-13, 08:55 AM   #50
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Give the drift a sideways tap to give more purchase. Or if you can get any force at all onto the bearing crack on, presume you'll be replacing it anyway.

Drifts with good, square ends help.