SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-03-13, 10:53 PM   #11
Stuuk1

I would always recommend tomtom but my rider v2 is terrible in direct sunlight with the brightness up full
Old 04-03-13, 08:34 AM   #12
Fallout
Mega Poster

Default Re: The Sat Nav minefield!

Thanks for the input guys. The thing about the bike specific sat navs is if you read the reviews at amazon, there are almost as many 1 star as 5 star reviews for many of them. Lots of people seem to have problems or not rate them, which makes it harder to part with a large sum of cash. There also seems to be a bunch of people in the Garmin camp and just as many in the TomTom camp. So it looks like it's going to be a suck it and see scenario.

I'll probably get a bike specific one based on what you guys are saying, it's just homing in on the best one for me. Time for more research ...
Fallout Breakbeat (My Music)
Fallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-13, 10:19 AM   #13
BoltonSte
Mega Poster

I did 1. Car SatNav (don't really care too much about getting lost on the bike, so figured I'd get more use out of it)

But, I don't use a tankbag, I got a waterproof holder from HK via e-bay, has a Ram mount with it, so just stuck it onto the bars, ran a socket up under the clocks and a cheap charger (again of ebay) so if it gets wet then it's no biggie (The official lead is USB for the PC as well).

So far it's been waterproof and I've had no issues.

At it's the ball type, I'm guessing you could speak to Ram Mount about a yolk-nut mount with the ball of the correct dia?
BoltonSte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-13, 10:42 AM   #14
Ceri JC

The Zumo 660, wired in to the battery for on-bike charging is the best option for road-riding. Sadly, it's also the most expensive.

RAM Mount make excellent mounting stuff for whichever GPS you choose. The Aquabox that they make is a 100% waterproof hard case for the phone that allows you to use your phones' satnav on the bike, which can be a good cheap option if you don't plan on using it for more than a couple of hours at a time and aren't worried about charging it on the bike.

If you're technically inclined (IE handy with a PC), a "Peaklife" GPS is probably the 'best bang for the buck'. Motorbike-specific, great mount included, comes with a car kit and under £100. No software mind, so you'll need to sort that out yourself.
Old 04-03-13, 11:39 AM   #15
SUPERSTARDJ01

I use co pilot on my phone with a waterproof case and a hardwared charger but have also used garmin motorcycle satnav both are excellent, phone is smoother and with co pilot you can customise your route by dragging the route to the roads you want, again faultless and mine is accurate to about an average of 16 feet and gets a GPS signal in about 10-15 seconds but the garmin takes about 2-5 mins.
Old 04-03-13, 11:43 AM   #16
NTECUK
Mega Poster

There is nav world you can get free on android . uses a stored map on device .
Old 04-03-13, 11:51 AM   #17
SUPERSTARDJ01

or you root your phone download lucky patcher and aptoide or blackmart alpha download co-pilot and open lucky patcher and patch it.
Old 04-03-13, 01:16 PM   #18
NTECUK
Mega Poster

its only £20 !!!
legal and works . Cheap skate....
Old 04-03-13, 01:19 PM   #19
Rogue_Shadow

I used two Ram mounts and a waterproof case to set mine up.

Plenty of flexibility for angling the Sat Nav into position, I'm still hunting for a decent Sat Nav though.
Had my eyes on the Garmin Nuvi 2455, all the features I need with UK and Europe maps.
Although starting to think Bluetooth would be handy so I could hear the directions rather than glancing at the screen.
As for "not being able to use it with gloves". I tend to setup my journey then leave it alone.
Let me know if you find a decent Sat Nav
Happy hunting
Old 04-03-13, 01:35 PM   #20
SUPERSTARDJ01

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTECUK View Post
its only £20 !!!
legal and works . Cheap skate....
The one i have is £35, in know it's not much to most but £35 is too much for me.