SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-03-14, 01:08 PM   #1
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Default Number Plate Slogans

I'm in the market for a new number plate for the TZR. I'm just going to get a standard size (whatever that is?) with standard lettering and a thin black boarder otherwise it might look a little plain.

If I were to get that on the high street it would end up with the suppliers name and telephone number. I don't really understand why, but I don't want that on mine. However without it I don't know if it will look odd? So I shall be going online to one of those "show plate" sites, does anyone have a recommendation?

But if I were to go for a slogan what could it be? I could go for the obvious make and model, or my name, or some form of wit... Over to you.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-14, 01:21 PM   #2
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Default Re: Number Plate Slogans

Legislation requires that the manufacturer of the plate be identified on it, it can be as little as their postcode, or as you say some regard it as an opportunity for free advertising.

Slogans are technically illegal, however some humorous ones that are not that prominent may get overlooked.....

ps: I know someone who had "Caution, if you can read this it's about to seize" on the back of his TZR race bike.....

Last edited by Red Herring; 16-03-14 at 01:22 PM.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-14, 01:26 PM   #3
NTECUK
Mega Poster

"How's my driving? Phone 999"
Old 16-03-14, 05:59 PM   #4
TheRuffellator

I got my plate from ebay, loads of size options and borders/lettering etc. I went for a slightly smaller than usual with the normal black lettering. They also let you chose a slogan or phrase to have on the bottom. 'If in doubt flat out' 'my other toy has tits'
Old 16-03-14, 06:18 PM   #5
LewSpeight
Mega Poster

'Fastest ride your mum will ever have'

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk
LewSpeight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-14, 06:20 PM   #6
DJ123
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel_hunter View Post
I'm in the market for a new number plate for the TZR. I'm just going to get a standard size (whatever that is?) with standard lettering and a thin black boarder otherwise it might look a little plain.

If I were to get that on the high street it would end up with the suppliers name and telephone number. I don't really understand why, but I don't want that on mine. However without it I don't know if it will look odd? So I shall be going online to one of those "show plate" sites, does anyone have a recommendation?

But if I were to go for a slogan what could it be? I could go for the obvious make and model, or my name, or some form of wit... Over to you.

1 'upside' to a Halfords number palte is that their name & post code are a hologram & so don't show up unless you are looking at it in the right angle

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-14, 09:30 PM   #7
socommk23

I have "my other ride is your mum's a#$€" on my old bike and my car. Police seem to think its funny enough to ignore it. Lol.
Dont think you need to worry about the legality of a slogan.
Old 16-03-14, 10:58 PM   #8
StuL

I've got a yellow halfords plate which has a tiny yellow halfords logo on it. Its there but you wouldnt see it from a distance. Never had a bother with it either.
Old 16-03-14, 11:46 PM   #9
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by socommk23 View Post
I have "my other ride is your mum's a#$€" on my old bike and my car. Police seem to think its funny enough to ignore it. Lol.
To each their own, I've never understood the attraction with being indiscriminately offensive.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-14, 07:36 PM   #10
ChrisCurvyS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
To each their own, I've never understood the attraction with being indiscriminately offensive.
I once saw a huge trike-riding meathead wandering around Ludlow farmers' market with 'F*CK YOU' written in big letters across the back of his jacket. No other words, no jokes, not even an exclamation mark.

The context made it all the more strange.
ChrisCurvyS is offline   Reply With Quote