SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 28-11-18, 08:26 PM   #1
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Default Sonos and alternatives - OMO

Dear mighty orgers, we are thoroughly confused about what to do about your hifi at home. I am hoping you can help.

I've got a Nad 320 amp and am using a Yamaha DVD player for CDs, but Mrs. Rod wants to be able to stream her Justin Trousersnake collection from our new NAS. We were hoping a sound bar would make the telly sound good for films (which we don't watch that much TBH) but they're just not all that for music. The Sonos play bar isn't bad but a lot of money and (apart from being irritatingly smug) restricted in terms of connectivity - I couldn't just take an output to a normal amp for playing music, because there isn't one. The Sonos beam is better than the telly but that's about it, at least it's cheaper, but you can't get an output from it either. Chumps.

So I know this is all a bit haphazard, but I guess the question first is, for a sound bar for the telly, what's worth a look? I'm hoping the rest will start to fall into place after that.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-18, 10:09 PM   #2
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Sonos and alternatives - OMO

buy a new AV amplifier as pretty much every single one of them comes with streaming facility or a USB.

sound bars come in loads of different flavours and what your concerned about is codecs. no point in a sound bar if it only does dolby digital.

a new AV amp will let you look at much more options.

i'm not a fan of cheep sound bars as they sound like a bad plastic boom box.

BTW your old NAD 320 are still sought after.

TBH your better off using an ipod classic rather than NAS.

there are other options such as a raspberry pi.

it all depends on what you want to do exactly.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-18, 07:05 PM   #3
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

One of these days I am going to get myself something like this to make the telly sound better and if it can also accept cast from my tablet or phone to play Spotify then happy days. We have several branches of Richer Sounds nearby and your nearest is Sheffield - they have a lot of offers, usually superseded models or last year's colour, so better prices. So I'll probably go and see what they might have and start there.
Old 29-11-18, 09:36 PM   #4
embee
Mega Poster

Worth registering with Richer Sounds if you are thinking of buying from them, they regularly have additional discounts for "VIP" members. The website has lists of clearance stuff usually. Often great value on open box items etc.
Not connected with them, just a customer.
Old 30-11-18, 06:17 AM   #5
kaivalagi
Mega Poster

Android versions of Kodi or Plex side loaded onto a cheap firetv stick could also stream music from a NAS, but you'd still need a decent sound system for the telly and it would be a more technical solution

Does your TV have any smart TV functions? Connects to WiFi? If fairly new it may well stream MP3 files atleast from your NAS already...

And yeah, ALWAYS worth visiting Richer Sounds if you're looking for sound/home cinema stuff...its where my AV receiver came from

Triumph and Suzuki owner

Last edited by kaivalagi; 30-11-18 at 06:19 AM.
kaivalagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-18, 08:44 PM   #6
maviczap
Mega Poster

I'd go with Bibs advice, as he's the audio guru.

I've got a dennon soundbase under my TV, doesn't output, just input, but has Bluetooth, so I can connect a tablet with my music on it, to have better quality music sounds. I have my Sky box and blu ray player connected to it, so I can improve upon the TV speakers.

I have a better quality system sitting in the garage, but no space to put it anywhere, well not until I do a Bibs style clear up
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-18, 12:43 PM   #7
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

I guess convenience costs money. The TV has no smart features. I'm perfectly happy with the sound I get from the NAD, it's galling that it could end up redundant because of a lack of a source. Has anyone tried the Chromecast Audio?

After some playing around last night I found the QNAP music app on my phone can send music to the Sky Q box via Airplay. You can get HDMI audio extractors to provide an analogue input to the amp, I don't know if they're any good, but they are cheap. Not sure how you'd control the telly volume, presume from the amp, however we're really only bothered about the TV sound for films.

We're also after a wifi speaker for the kitchen, many of which just don't sound very good. The Sonos Play 3 sounds a lot better than the Play 1 and apparently you can hook it up with one of their soundbars and put it at the back of the room for some sort of surround sound. So, there's a grand right there! Blimey.

Um...
Old 01-12-18, 01:31 PM   #8
maviczap
Mega Poster

How about a Bluetooth transmitter from the NAD and hook it up to some Bluetooth speakers

Or a WiFi transmitter, then find a cheaper WiFi speaker system

Sonos is nice, but expensive, the Play Bar was tested on the Gadget show a while back, but it didn't win their test group
Old 01-12-18, 04:18 PM   #9
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

I haven't played around with Bluetooth audio as it's more compressed, all our CDs are ripped in Apple lossless format.
What beat the Sonos?
Old 01-12-18, 05:24 PM   #10
maviczap
Mega Poster

Can't remember for sure, it might have been a Yamaha sound bar

Sent from my Lenovo TB2-X30F using Tapatalk