SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-02-19, 11:15 AM   #1
2000curvy

Default Advice on getting my bike going after a long lay off

Hello Again

I quick note to say hello again to you Orgers

I used to really enjoy regularly coming on to this forum a few years ago after I purchased a naked curvy which required a bit of work as it had been standing for a while. I had intended getting it on the road, and replaced, amongst other things, the choke cable which had seized solid. But, a few things, including a nasty car accident resulted in the bike languishing in the back of the garage.

But the passage of time has re-wetted (if there's such a word) my appetite for finally getting the old girl on the road. I would be grateful for any advice as to what I should do before I try to get her running.

I vaguely remember it needing the choke on all the time to keep it running (even when it was warm when it subsequently bogged down), so I think I'll have to have the carbs off, and a check of the choke plungers, and I'm guessing new oil and a filter would be advisable? It will also need new fork seals, would anyone be able to advise as to the best place to buy them please?

I've also got a Remus end can to fit, could anyone advise me as to the best sealant for the link pipe?

It's also suffering from the dreaded rust in the tank. Is it likely to be repairable or should I be trying to get another tank?

My apologies for the many questions!

Regards

Nick
2000curvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-19, 07:01 PM   #2
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Default Re: Advice on getting my bike going after a long lay off

I got fork seals from Pyramid parts on eBay and they look almost identical to the Suzuki ones that came out. All working well so far, but it's only been a couple of months. Wemoto do sell original Suzuki ones I think.

If you need bushings though, don't get the Pyramid parts ones. They don't fit. They're the wrong size, even though they say they aren't.

I've not used any sealant on my end can and it's fine, but I did use a very small smear on the other pipe links (applied to the outside of the male section to be insterted, so that any excess gets pushed out of the pipe when fitting and not inside the exhaust in case you apply too much).

Friend lent me some "Proseal" (red) exhaust sealant that worked a treat. Flexible, so it doesn't eventually crack and crumble from vibration. Easy to apply and position before it goes off too.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sealpro-Pro.../dp/B000FW7VNW

Can't help with carbs advice etc.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-19, 08:09 PM   #3
2000curvy

Thanks very much for the advice Adam Ef. I'm not sure if it needs bushings, there is a slight leak from the right hand fork leg when it's compressed. I'll look into the seals you have suggested though, thanks again.

I had the carbs off today and was pleasantly surprised by how clean they were. There was no fuel in them at all, but it has been years since it was started. I expected the float bowls to a have a bit of treacle like residue in them. There was some discolouration, but it was dry, and came off with a bit of carb cleaner and elbow grease.

I'm just unsure what to do about the tank. Do I try and flush it out and use a rust treatment and a sealer? Or should I try and get a replacement tank? And how I wonder how many y9f Pearl Canyon Yellow tanks are out there?
Old 25-02-19, 09:04 PM   #4
garynortheast
Mega Poster

If it's been stood for a while I would get the calipers off and give them a thorough clean and service.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-19, 09:06 PM   #5
Talking Heads

Get the tank off, get it flushed out and have a look inside to see what sort of state its in.

Before you get new fork seals, have a try with a home-made seal mate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5L2K2PXGtA
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-19, 09:17 PM   #6
daktulos

Mine had been sat for about 15 years - I used POR15 Cleaner Degreaser & Metal Prep on the tank, which worked a dream.

My carbs looked spotless, too, but the jets were blocked with old petrol. It took several efforts with carb cleaner to get them clear.
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-19, 10:01 AM   #7
2000curvy

Garynortheast, surprisingly the brakes still work with no binding, but that's a good call, I'm sure there will be rubbish around the Pistons etc.

Talking Heads, I took the tank to my mate at the local bike shop. He said the rust isn't a big problem. It was certainly nowhere near as bad as the tanks I saw in the Tank Sealer videos. He told me to swill it out and add up to 10 litres of white vinegar and keep swilling it out over the next couple of days. For my own piece of mind, I might put in an additional fuel filter. And Wow! I always believed fork seals were shot once they'd started leaking! I'll certainly try that out!

Daktulos, my main jets looked pretty good, but on your advice I'll soak both the main and pilot jets for a while. You've probably saved me a lot of hassle in assembling and dis assembling my bike!

Thanks to you all for your advice, I really do appreciate it! Nick😀
Old 27-02-19, 12:48 PM   #8
Talking Heads

There's a better video here, using the branded seal mate on a fork which was ****ing oil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NR8GYeVHc0Q
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-19, 01:24 PM   #9
maviczap
Mega Poster

I'm surprised Seeker hasn't popped up, so I'll beat him to this suggestion.

Fresh fuel with some Redex added
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-19, 05:39 PM   #10
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
I'm surprised Seeker hasn't popped up, so I'll beat him to this suggestion.

Fresh fuel with some Redex added
Ha ha! I think you might be stealing riffraff's advice there Mav!
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote