SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-03-19, 07:35 PM   #1
Flybuster

Default Part ex prices

I was just wondering if anyone had any experience of part ex prices compared to private sale. I'm taking my SV in, to maybe part ex on a Royal Enfield interceptor, but don't really know what to expect in the way of price. Privately, it looks like it's worth between 1200 and 1600 quid, judging by other private sales.
Flybuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-19, 07:38 PM   #2
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Default Re: Part ex prices

I'd guess about £800 - £1000 for a curvy
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-19, 07:47 PM   #3
Flybuster

It's in good nick and has 20600 miles on it so hopefully 1000 then. Will try and squeeze them for more mind.
Old 05-03-19, 09:06 PM   #4
mister c
Mega Poster

Not an sv, but I went to my local Honda dealer looking at buying a brand new 750. I owned a Triumph 955 sprint in really good condition with 20000 miles on the clock. I sold it privately for 1600 quid because the Honda salesman reckoned it was only worth £800 trade in against their brand new 750 & that they would have to send mine to auction. I ended up going to my suzuki dealer & buying a Gladius interest free & a £1.00 deposit

Sent from my BND-L21 using Tapatalk
mister c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-19, 09:46 PM   #5
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Dealers will always be a few hundred under the private sale price. A lot less hassle just swapping it in with a dealer, but you pay a lot for that convenience.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-19, 10:09 PM   #6
Flybuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister c View Post
Not an sv, but I went to my local Honda dealer looking at buying a brand new 750. I owned a Triumph 955 sprint in really good condition with 20000 miles on the clock. I sold it privately for 1600 quid because the Honda salesman reckoned it was only worth £800 trade in against their brand new 750 & that they would have to send mine to auction. I ended up going to my suzuki dealer & buying a Gladius interest free & a £1.00 deposit

Sent from my BND-L21 using Tapatalk
That's taking the p*ss. They lost a sale for the sake of a couple of hundred quid.
Old 05-03-19, 10:11 PM   #7
Flybuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
Dealers will always be a few hundred under the private sale price. A lot less hassle just swapping it in with a dealer, but you pay a lot for that convenience.
Yeah. I'd probably take 1000 if offered, just for ease of sale and down payment on the new one.
Old 05-03-19, 10:20 PM   #8
Talking Heads

Much depends on the model you're trading in against.
If its something that's not shifting the trade in will be higher.
If its a new model that is much hyped and flying out the doors in numbers, you usually get a bit less.
Rather than looking at trade in value, look at cost to change.
And do you really want to be buying a new model of Royal Enfield before any potential gremlins have surfaced and been remedied?
I'm really interested in the Enfield 650 twins, but not until at least this time next year.
There have been a number of issues so far, fuel gauge not working, engines cutting out, poor finish and rust to name a few.
The exhaust header lower brackets are welded on after chroming and bodged with squares of silver paint. Nasty.
The service interval is very short by modern standards, I've read that its only 4000 miles.
Much is made of how cheap the interceptor is and what a bargain it is, but for the same sort of money you could have a brand new shiny Suzuki SV650AL8 which has 7500 mile service intervals, better fuel economy and a whole bunch more horses.
Only thing the Enfield has which the Suzuki lacks is mudguards and a certain olde worlde charm.
So I reckon get along to the dealers with your current bike and see what sort of a deal you can get.
Back to "cost to change", also compare any finance costs and insurance.
All things considered, a new SV might work out cheaper than the Enfield.
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-19, 10:52 PM   #9
Flybuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking Heads View Post
Much depends on the model you're trading in against.
If its something that's not shifting the trade in will be higher.
If its a new model that is much hyped and flying out the doors in numbers, you usually get a bit less.
Rather than looking at trade in value, look at cost to change.
And do you really want to be buying a new model of Royal Enfield before any potential gremlins have surfaced and been remedied?
I'm really interested in the Enfield 650 twins, but not until at least this time next year.
There have been a number of issues so far, fuel gauge not working, engines cutting out, poor finish and rust to name a few.
The exhaust header lower brackets are welded on after chroming and bodged with squares of silver paint. Nasty.
The service interval is very short by modern standards, I've read that its only 4000 miles.
Much is made of how cheap the interceptor is and what a bargain it is, but for the same sort of money you could have a brand new shiny Suzuki SV650AL8 which has 7500 mile service intervals, better fuel economy and a whole bunch more horses.
Only thing the Enfield has which the Suzuki lacks is mudguards and a certain olde worlde charm.
So I reckon get along to the dealers with your current bike and see what sort of a deal you can get.
Back to "cost to change", also compare any finance costs and insurance.
All things considered, a new SV might work out cheaper than the Enfield.
Well the dealer reckons there's been loads of interest in the interceptor so you may be right and they'll offer me bugger all. If that's the case I'll sell it private. I was thinking of leaving it a year before buying but then thought I was maybe being over cautious. After all it's a budget bike but has a 3 year warranty, so anything major should be covered. Like all new bikes, I expect there'll be issues which will eventually be ironed out. The look is exactly what I like about it, twin exhausts, round headlight, no plastic etc. I had been looking at the Bonneville T100 and T120's before the interceptor came along but wasn't prepared to pay them prices for a weekend toy.
I suppose it'll depend on what they offer me for mine. If I don't like their offer I may well keep mine for this summer then sell privately.
The interceptor is like a worm in my head though. It's eating away all the rationality.
Old 06-03-19, 08:37 AM   #10
SeniorBiker

I nearly let my heart rule and seriously wanted a Royal Enfield Interceptor after watching all the hype on YouTube and I like the Triumph look and convinced myself I would break my own golden rule of never buying the first of a new model of a bike because you are the guinea pig for any reliability problems regardless of the length of warranty and breakdown cover. I was going to part-ex my white/blue 2016 SV650 with only 1300 dry miles and in showroom condition, but was only offered £3000 which made me think with my wallet instead of my heart!!! I have always looked at the price a new bike was going to cost the new bike minus part-ex value, but this was too much of an insult and made be take a second look at how VERY good the SV is and when the Interceptor arrived in the dealers how it looks close-up and the finish is good, that's GOOD but not very good!! some of the finish on the fittings is not finished to the same standard as the Japanese bikes but the paint finish is good and is what you see in the video reviews. When I queried the part-ex price the answer I got was dealers now use the internet to find a similar bike, mileage and year with the lowest price for sell and then start reducing the price to include road tax a service and of course a profit for the dealer and then tell you what they will give you for yours!!! I also found out that the first service on the new Royal Enfield's is at 300mls and will cost about £250 because they have too reset the valve clearances after the 300mls and being old fashion manual adjusters there is a time and labour cost. I still think they look good but is the build quality from Royal Enfield India as good as another manufactures bike built from this country the BMW G310R?
SeniorBiker is offline   Reply With Quote