SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-03-19, 10:13 PM   #21
Flybuster

Default Re: Part ex prices

Some well kept older T100's out there.
Flybuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-19, 05:07 AM   #22
Talking Heads

Air cooled bonnies don't have ABS.
For me no ABS means no sale.
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-19, 05:05 PM   #23
Othen

Default Part ex prices

I can certainly recommend modern Triumph twins. I bought a new Scrambler (last of the carburettor models with the 270 degree crank) in 2007, I still have it and have been very happy with it throughout.
This has been the second of the air/oil cooled twins I have owned (the first was a Triumph America), they have been absolutely reliable, fairly cheap to maintain and they look just so cool ... I must just pop out and find some barbed wire fences to jump over

PS. The Triumph has everything one needs on a motorcycle- but not one iota more (and certainly not ABS, that would be entirely missing the point).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by Othen; 07-03-19 at 06:48 PM.
Old 07-03-19, 05:20 PM   #24
Othen

Default Part ex prices

... and this was the Triumph America - also an excellent bike that suited the USA really well (I think this photo was taken in Winchester, Va).

Old 07-03-19, 07:47 PM   #25
Flybuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking Heads View Post
Air cooled bonnies don't have ABS.
For me no ABS means no sale.
Would be nice but having never had a bike with ABS it wouldn't put me off.
Old 07-03-19, 08:01 PM   #26
Talking Heads

I thought like that right up until I got a bike with ABS.
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-19, 08:02 PM   #27
Flybuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I can certainly recommend modern Triumph twins. I bought a new Scrambler (last of the carburettor models with the 270 degree crank) in 2007, I still have it and have been very happy with it throughout.
This has been the second of the air/oil cooled twins I have owned (the first was a Triumph America), they have been absolutely reliable, fairly cheap to maintain and they look just so cool ... I must just pop out and find some barbed wire fences to jump over

PS. The Triumph has everything one needs on a motorcycle- but not one iota more (and certainly not ABS, that would be entirely missing the point).

Nice looking bikes the scramblers. The America isn't my cup of tea mind.
Old 07-03-19, 08:08 PM   #28
Flybuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking Heads View Post
I thought like that right up until I got a bike with ABS.
Ha ha. Yes that seems to be the reply everyone gives, who has ridden bikes with abs, so it must make a difference. You would think it would be standard on all bikes from the last 5 years or so.
Old 07-03-19, 08:17 PM   #29
Othen

Default Part ex prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybuster View Post
Nice looking bikes the scramblers. The America isn't my cup of tea mind.

The America suited its environment really well (I was living in Virginia at the time). It was long and low, really comfortable, sounded lovely (with those short mufflers that had ‘not for road use’ stamped on them) and had rather better performance than a Harley. It would not have been any good at all in the UK - where the Scrambler is in its environment.

I had to take my Virginia bike test on it (a bit like a CBT, all conducted in the car park of the DMV at Chantilly, but I was licensed to ride any bike afterwards) - the feet-up manoeuvring test in an out of some cones was a challenge!

I bought the Scrambler in Maryland (it was only $7500, which was £3750 at the time) and the government kindly shipped it back for me, so it was something of a bargain. I really like the fact it has absolutely nothing superfluous- no rev counter (why would one need that?), no fuel gauge (it has a reserve tap) and certainly no ABS!

I doubt that I’d ever sell the Scrambler - and the SV650 will compliment it perfectly for when a sports bike is required.

Old 07-03-19, 08:24 PM   #30
Flybuster

2 bikes !! Nice.