SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 14-07-08, 09:22 PM   #21
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Default Re: So what did I do to deserve this ( warning cycling based thread )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffy View Post
Damn! I cycle to & from work virtually every day so I'm excluded. You won't want to hear then that I think you were absolutely in the right.

Quote:
Isn't that a failure to stop? Call the cops!
Dunno, but he did stop at traffic lights 30 seconds or so after he did it. So I cycled up to his window and tapped on it till he wound it down, he knew what he'd done and he was sh*tting himself as he couldnt drive away as there was a car in front of him.

I spoke to him politely and calmly and explained what he'd done and that it wasnt a very clever thing to do and that next time I'd appreciate a little more room I then thanked him politely for driving like a moron and putting me at risk and took my place in the traffic queue.

he overtook me about 1/2 mile down the road and left me plenty of room this time so I like to think my being calm actually got through to him.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-08, 09:26 PM   #22
Ed

You are another road user, lawfully entitled to be there, and you do not have to stop or crash into a tree just so a car can get by. If the driver don't like it, tough. Did you get the registration number. Such petulance and contempt for other people is so selfish and arrogant, I hope you report the cowbag.
Old 14-07-08, 09:40 PM   #23
Ruffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post
Dunno, but he did stop at traffic lights 30 seconds or so after he did it. So I cycled up to his window and tapped on it till he wound it down, he knew what he'd done and he was sh*tting himself as he couldnt drive away as there was a car in front of him.

I spoke to him politely and calmly and explained what he'd done and that it wasnt a very clever thing to do and that next time I'd appreciate a little more room I then thanked him politely for driving like a moron and putting me at risk and took my place in the traffic queue.

he overtook me about 1/2 mile down the road and left me plenty of room this time so I like to think my being calm actually got through to him.
Fair play to you. I expect (& get) near misses all the time - there seems to be a fixation about making the overtake irrespective of what other traffic is around and what the road conditions are like - and I like to think that I have a reasonably balanced outlook, but if I was actually hit I think the red mist would descend very quickly. Your restraint is commendable and an example to us all!
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-08, 10:19 PM   #24
Quiff Wichard
Mega Poster

get off and milk it
Old 14-07-08, 10:41 PM   #25
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Your restraint is commendable and an example to us all!
I'm not always restrained, I tried to remove the wing mirror from a ford focus a week or so ago. Woman saw me coming pulled out in front of me and then grinned at me like a chesire cat because she thought it was funny. I didnt...

Old 14-07-08, 11:06 PM   #26
KrZ

I would of just stopped in the middle of the lane and signal i've got a cramp and can't continue.
It certainly sounds like that driver is not a very good driver, from that perspective, you were lucky that you didn't get knocked off ya bike and praise to her for staying behind rather than try to sqeeze through.
Old 14-07-08, 11:38 PM   #27
MiniMatt

It really does baffle me. Sure it's moderately annoying (hell, even annoying is too strong a word) to get stuck behind a cyclist / horsey / learner driver / moped but getting held up for 60 seconds just isn't worth the rise in blood pressure. Kids in the car, great one mum - why is it that the worse driving always seems to come from those with "baby on board" stickers? Just how screwed up are her kids going to be when her foot slips off the clutch when revving and bits of dismembered cyclist go flying through the window into little Tarquin's lap? Don't drive like a tit when the other person is on two wheels or four legs and you're in a steel re-inforced cage.

Ok, solutions. Get yourself a t-shirt (lycra if you must ) with "Cameras recording front and rear! Smile!" written on it. Or "I'm best friends with a litigation happy lawyer!".
Old 15-07-08, 01:37 AM   #28
Ratty

Fizz

You were lucky it was just mummy and the kids. I saw some proper road rage on the Manchester – Blackpool ride on Sunday. We were on a semi-suburban lane when we heard a car behind us revving loudly and he eventually came past (bearing in mind there was hundreds of bikers on the road). It was bloke in a beat up 3 series BM with a through exhaust. He seemed a more than a little agitated as he picked his way through our group and worked his way up through the other riders. Two mins later there were bikes and riders all over the road and cars coming the other way were doing emergency stops to avoid the commotion. Turns out somebody must have really wound him up because he pulled in and waited for the offending group before charging into them swinging punches at them all sending bikes flying everywhere. There were about a dozen spectators trying to break it up as we went through. Scary stuff.

Ratty
Old 15-07-08, 07:50 AM   #29
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

That sounds nasty, trouble is if somebody is that agitated it doesnt take much to tip them over the edge.

Old 15-07-08, 07:58 AM   #30
Viney
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post
17 - 18mph , 4 x 4, late 40's female driver,
Hope this answers your question?

However, i would have just stopped and let her by, the daft bint
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote