SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 31-07-20, 11:56 AM   #1
Ludwig-von

Default 2001 SV650 - Tips on getting road worthy

Hi,

I've had a 2001 SV650 in storage for the last few years, turns out my ex turned off the trickle charger some time ago so everything is dead, seized up or starting to rust. I think it's got about 13000 on the clock, it was in great condition when it went into dry storage but the forks have started to oxidise, bits are starting to rust and it's in need of a general clean up.

I've got zero experience in this and no mechanical knowledge but, I've been quoted £500 to get it cleaned up and I figured, given it's only worth about £1200 in running condition, I may as well give it a go myself and learn some skills on the way.... what's the worst that can happen.

I've been doing some research on the key bits to look at but if anyone has any tips or hints on what to look at, any particular order and any definite don'ts I'd be grateful!!

http://forums.sv650.org/attachment.p...1&d=1596199333
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3113.jpg (112.4 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by Ludwig-von; 31-07-20 at 12:42 PM.
Ludwig-von is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-20, 12:22 PM   #2
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Default Re: 2001 SV650 - Tips on getting road worthy

Change plugs, all fluids (fork oil, engine oil, hydraulic fluid), off with the brake calipers for a clean and regrease of pistons and sliding pins (RED RUBBER GREASE ONLY!).

Pull all the block connecters apart, contact spray them and if necessary clean them up with fine emery paper, then a light application of ACF50 before reassembly, contact clean and then treat handlebar switches with WD40/GT85.

Clean, lube, and if necessary, adjust the chain, checking for any seized links at the same time. Also make sure chain isn't stretched and sprockets aren't hooked.

On with a new, fully charged battery, making sure all connections with battery, solenoid, and starter are tight and not corroded.

Drain the tank and refill with fresh fuel and a good quantity of Redex or similar, and see if it starts.

If it's been sat with fuel in the tank and carbs for a long time, you may have to take the carbs off and get them cleaned ultrasonically.

Welcome along by the way. Don't forget to take pictures of your progress and post them up.

I'm sure someone will be along soon to add the stuff I've missed. Lovely bikes, the curvy models, and dead easy to work on. Have fun.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-20, 12:26 PM   #3
Ludwig-von

Awesome, thanks, gives me a good checklist to work through. There seems to be some decent youtube video's on doing a lot of the work so hoping I'll be able to make a decent start.

The bike has been sat with fuel in it, someone mentioned ultrasonic cleansing before for the carbs, is this the only option or are there other approaches I could look at.

Will get photo's up ASAP. Could be a slow project as I'll just be fitting it around kids, work and everything else.....
Old 31-07-20, 12:38 PM   #4
garynortheast
Mega Poster

See what happens when you try to start it with fresh fuel and some Redex. If you can get it started then once it's running the new fuel and additive may sort out any gumming up of the carbs. Do take a look and maybe clean up the choke plungers on the cabs too.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-20, 12:40 PM   #5
Ludwig-von

Will give it a go. I'll start with a shopping list this afternoon and get everything ready to go
Old 31-07-20, 01:22 PM   #6
Dave20046
Mega Poster

If it's as bad as you say I'd be taking the carbs off and cleaning them out (check and grease choke mech) and then draining the tank and filling with super unleaded before trying to start it.

Sorry just re-read Gary's post and he says pretty much exactly that.
Don;t top up the tank with fresh fuel, drain it first.

Last edited by Dave20046; 31-07-20 at 01:23 PM.
Dave20046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-20, 02:17 PM   #7
Ludwig-von

Ok, making a start. Actually quite excited about this but there's a lot of advice out there and not sure what to follow:

Couple of quick questions.

I've got the fuel tank off and drained. Doesn't look like there's rust in there but lots of powdery residue. People seem to recommend filling with white vinegar for a week, draining, filling with BB's/Bolts, shaking for 15 mins, rinsing with distilled water and repeating if necessary. Is this the right approach?

I'll get to carbs, sparks etc shortly I guess but, looking at the frame, there's some oxidisation and the forks are looking fairly bad. I've seen someone take some 400+ grade sandpaper to get rid of this then polish the forks etc up.

Again, any recommendations on whether to do this or not?

Think that will keep me going for a while.....
Old 31-07-20, 02:52 PM   #8
daktulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludwig-von View Post
I've got the fuel tank off and drained. Doesn't look like there's rust in there but lots of powdery residue. People seem to recommend filling with white vinegar for a week, draining, filling with BB's/Bolts, shaking for 15 mins, rinsing with distilled water and repeating if necessary. Is this the right approach?
I brought my 2000 back to life after something like 12 years in storage. I definitely had rust in the tank, and used the POR cleaner degreaser and then POR metal prep on it, which lasted well (without coating it). I did read about acids and metal at the time, but decided it was too risky. Whatever you do, don't leave it long before filling it.

I also had to clean the carbs, which took a while but wasn't too hard - really just gummed up nozzles. Apart from that, there was very little wrong ... I changed the tyres, fluids and oil filter, and that was about it.

I think you have a decent chance of getting it going again without too much effort.
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-20, 03:34 PM   #9
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

I wouldnt worry about the forks yet, rather sort the engine and brakes just to get it running and moving. Good battery fully charged and all available leccy contacts cleaned up, plugs, fresh fuel and see if it starts.
Old 31-07-20, 04:28 PM   #10
redtrummy

If it was me getting it running properly would be my first job. As GNE says try new fuel and redex-
When my carb jobby would not run properly I put a couple of pints of fresh fuel in after draining, then a good dollop of redex - ran it through the engine and then left it a week or so. On restarting it was noticeably better. Left it a few more days and Bobs your uncle ran as sweet as a nut!

Good luck.
I will point out I aint a spanner man and I always look for the easy solution!
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote