SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-04-09, 12:56 PM   #1
zigrat

Default Timing Retard Eliminator

Found this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TRE-G-PACK-for...1%7C240%3A1308

on flea-bay. Anybody fitted or tried one ?
I'm assuming it will invalidate the warranty.....
Old 14-04-09, 12:57 PM   #2
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Default Re: Timing Retard Eliminator

Snake-oil......
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-09, 01:01 PM   #3
simesb

Can O'Worms....
Old 14-04-09, 01:01 PM   #4
Dappa D

zigrat, dont do it fella, waste of time and more importantly money.....

if you use the search function theres plenty about them on here,,,,

also if you really want to do it its just a case of cutting a wire...
Old 14-04-09, 01:04 PM   #5
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

Way-hey!!! Wow that was actually quite a long time between Timing Retard Eliminator threads. Usually they are every two weeks.

As Dangerous Dave hasn't been around lately i'll cut and paste his usual response:

Quote:
Here comes the rant..... not all this crap yet again.... !!!

I would not waste money buying the product and I would not waste time DIY'ing it either!

The Suzuki SV650 (Curvy and Pointy) is only very slightly retarded, there are no gains to be had other than the imaginary butt dyno thinking otherwise. It has been proven and tested a countless amout of times, it makes no performance increase!!!

The products are aimed at bikes which actual do have a lot of a ignition retard, the problem is the product list lists the SV650 in its fitting guide and everybody reads the hype and product blurb and instantly beleives it will do the same to their SV650. This is utter crap, the product description/blurb is aimed at GSXR's, etc and not the SV650!

Countless tests by proper and experienced SV650 tuners have proven it does not work and the people that say it does state the same thing "I fitted it and went for a ride a felt a real difference", this is your imaginary butt dyno telling you you have just increased the power by 10bhp because you fiddled with something!!! Utter rubbish....
Basically you can do it yourself either for free if you have a curvy or for the cost of a resistor if you have a pointy.

I have done it to mine and as DD says it did nothing noticeable so it aint worth it.
Smokey Black Burnty 02 - Racetech Smoulderlators + .90kg BBQ Springs, zx10r shockingly toasted, Conti Road Attacks heat up very nicely, R&G Crash Bungs but what f**king use are they, No Colour Matched Hugger, Flame Extenda, Beowulf Titainium Oval Flame Thrower.
Mr Speirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-09, 02:14 PM   #6
zigrat

Thanks all - mayble I'll start saving for a PCIII !
Old 14-04-09, 02:25 PM   #7
Jackie_Black

Thats another can of worms there. They are apparently also pointless. Unless you are going to tune the nuts off it!!
Old 14-04-09, 08:20 PM   #8
flymo
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie_Black View Post
Thats another can of worms there. They are apparently also pointless. Unless you are going to tune the nuts off it!!
Not necessarily a waste of time, just not a cost effective way of getting more power. Where they are useful is in being able to correct the fuel/air ratio throughout the rev range particularly when changing exhaust systems.

The same can be done by remapping the stock ECU by somebody with the right equipment (Steve Jordan Motorcycles etc)
flymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-09, 09:45 PM   #9
davepreston

quick hide this from yc he'll blow i'm telling ya
Old 14-04-09, 10:04 PM   #10
Jackie_Black

My old SV had a yoshi box tune done and that made it a lot smoother and a little faster (on the old **** dyno). I was always told that a PC was only needed if you did a full system, cams air filter and some blueprinting.
Otherwise as you say not cost effective.

Spend the money on some BT015s instead.