SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

EuroTour An area to discuss potential European trips, and to ask advice about long distance touring.

Old 31-05-13, 10:43 PM   #1
Winder

Default Ireland trip

A few weeks back I decided to bang some luggage on the SV and take a ride over to Ireland to watch the NW200 road races (all 2 laps of the b*stard thing!!!). Then I thought, balls to it, if i'm going that way I may as well see a bit of the place. So 6 days riding, visit the parents in County Down Northern Ireland, watch some racing and head for home was the new plan.
I looked online for some recommended roads, attractions etc and marked them on a crappy old map of Ireland along with the locations of campsites dotted around the place.
I'll give you a quick bit of info on where I went and what roads and places I think would be worth a visit in case anyone on here is thinking of touring Ireland.

Day 1

Early start from my house in Berkshire, England and the weather was grey but dry. Due to my "leave everything to the last minute" attitude this would be the first time riding the bike fully loaded for more than 1 mile.
The first part of the journey was going to be complete ass as I would be using the motorway but later I cut onto the A5 near Shewsbury and followed it through North Wales all the way to Holyhead Port. From Llangollen to Bethesda the road was awesome, great views and lovely twisty roads. The weather on the other hand turned to complete dog ****. Monsoon rain and gusts of wind that made me change lane a few times on the last stretch of dual carriageway before the ferry.

Irish ferries Holyhead - Dublin takes 3.5 hours and it cost £50 for me and the bike. I also got a single berth cabin for an extra £20, this was the best idea my pea sized brain has ever came up with. If you do this journey I would recommend the cabin, at least for the return journey if you have a long ride home. I was able to get out of my Halfords 1 piece rain suit (10/10 by the way) and all my bike gear and walk around the boat in comfort with my gear locked in my cabin, I even had a shower and a power nap and was able to poo in comfort. All the other bikers were sweating their tits off in their gear and squeaking around the boat in wet boots, MUGS!

Dublin is a big pile of ass, soiled, old person ass. There are 2 road signs in the whole of Dublin and they tell you how to get to the port. The one way system is a nightmare, the place is a dump and the roads are so fecked It was like green laning but surrounded by taxis rather than trees. I wish I had brought a sat nav just for this one bit of the trip as the map was useless. I eventually picked up a motorway for a few miles that led me in the general direction I wanted to go so I could pick up the R115 that would take me through the Wicklow mountains towards a dot on the map that was a camp site.

What a road! This is more like it! Some lovely fast twisty bits with a smooth surface for the most part. As you get into the mountains it becomes a single lane but the road surface is still great. The best bit is there was not another car/bike/lorry/person in sight!
The R755 s a brilliant little road that leads out of the mountains into a village/small town called Rathdrum. 3 minute ride from the High Street and you are at Hidden Valley Holiday Park.
Set away from the roads with a river running around the outside of the park and mountains in the background this campsite looks the dogs danglers. The site is accessed via an electric security gate and a traffic barrier, I was happy to leave my bike and tent full of gear here unattended. The camping pitches have a tarmac parking bay with a patch of grass about 5 mtrs x 3.5 mtrs for the tent. There are also power outlets for each pitch if you need it at an extra 5 Euro. The bloke charged me 10 Euro for a pitch for the night (although it said 16 Euro on the sign) and I got a token for the shower for 1 Euro.
When I asked where was good to eat he told me that I was 30 minutes too late as all the pubs stopped serving food at 8pm. He then made a call to a bloke called Declan from his local pub and told him that "A lad on a motorbike has turned up and he hasn't had any tea, he's come all the way from London.". Declan sorted me out with a MASSIVE chicken curry and a few pints of the black stuff before I retired to my tent to work out the route for day 2.

Good roads = A5 Llangollen - Behesda, R115 and R755 Ballyboden - Rathdrum

Camp site = Hidden Vally Holiday Park, County Wicklow, Ireland 00353 86 727 2872 (recommended)

Route = I have left out the 1 hour of getting lost in Dublin and ignore where the ferry arrives on google maps

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...2508,10.821533
Old 04-06-13, 05:05 AM   #2
STRAMASHER
Mega Poster

Default Re: Ireland trip

Good stuff. Hospitality second to none over there. Worst roads in Europe I have been on, North of the South down to the South West. No potholes. But don't think dem Irish folk have any steamrollers! Boing boing boing.
STRAMASHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-13, 08:52 PM   #3
BasketballPAT

looks great
Old 06-06-13, 11:14 AM   #4
Winder

Day 2.

Good nights kip in the tent. ****ed it down all night but the tent handled it no problem. Tent is a coleman phad 3 man tent and it allows you to pack away the inner mesh part of the tent first while you and your kit remains dry under the outer waterproof bit, worked a treat with the mornings drizzle.

On the road at 0800 and the weather sorted itself out, bright sunshine for the rest of the day! The roads out of Wicklow towards New Ross were great with a twisty rating between 7/10 and 8/10 and road surfaces between 6/10 to 8/10. (EVERYONE I have spoken to has bad mouthed the road surfaces in Ireland. Throughout this trip I have been on some of the best road surfaces I have ever seen.)
I stopped off at Tramore for a bite to eat and set off on the R675 Copper Coast road towards Dungarvan (see photograph). Excellent 45KM of road with brilliant views, I nearly put the bike in a hedge by just staring at the stunning coast line. Twisty rating 10/10, road surface 8/10, simply stunning.
While pulled up at the side of the road for a quick picture and a water break I knelt down to check my chain tension. A car seen me do this and pulled over to ask if I was ok. We had a chat and he recommended I check out the Beara Peninsula as it's the most beautiful place in Ireland.

From here I jumped on the N72 and headed for Killarney. The N72 is a faster road with some great bits and a few boring bits but it got me to Killarney quickly and to the campsite in Fossa. I knew i only had a few days before the racing in Portrush so was thinking about making good time between places of interest, this meant skipping some of the South coast. Fossa camping park was ok but had no security barrier or anything to stop a would be thief and also it had a bit if road noise even at the most remote tent pitch area. Still, for 11.50 Euro for pitch and a hot shower it would do the job. I pitched the tent and then the heavens opened, torrential rain! I still hopped on the bike and explored some brilliant roads around the gap of Dunloe and had a brilliant roast lamb dinner by an open fire at Kate's Cottage at the foot of the Dunloe Gap. Lots of friendly locals and a few just about bearable yanks in the place made it a fun evening.

Good Roads = R746, R702, R729 from Rathdrum to New Ross were good fun.
R675 from Tramore to Dungarvan is AMAZING, it is a MUST if you are in that area
Road from Fossa to Lough Acoose in Killarney was brilliant fun, even in the pouring rain.

Campsite = Fossa Camp and Caravan Park, Killarney, Co. Kerry (00353) 64 663 1497. (exceptionally average)

Route = https://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ms...11034,5.410767

Last edited by Winder; 06-06-13 at 11:19 AM.
Winder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-13, 12:22 PM   #5
Winder

STRAMASHER - I did go down some crap roads to the point it was really green laning but these were "L" roads so was to be expected. Near towns the roads were crap but mostly I found the roads to be great. All the locals and the people that travel Ireland every year kept saying "Isn't it great what they have done with the roads?" so I imagine the work has been done recently. Some of the scenic roads in Killarney had a surface like a race track!
Old 18-06-13, 09:43 AM   #6
Winder

Day 3

N71 N71 N71 !!! Probably the best road on planet earth. Due to everyman and his dog telling me how amazing the Beara Peninsula is with it's small tracks following the coastline I decided to ditch the Ring of Kerry (until my next visit) and head that way instead.
On the ABR forum a few members have said how amazing the N71 is so that was my route towards the beara peninsula. Leaving Killarney going south on the N71 the first few miles are dull, just an average road leaving the town centre, a few miles in though this all changes. The buildings and brick walls are replaced by tall bright green trees and flowing rivers and streams, the tarmac becomes smooth and winds in tight S bends and hairpins mile after mile and just when you think it can't get any better you start to climb. The road opens up into fast, flowing, sweeping bends and as you climb up above the trees the view of the mountains is utterly breath taking. I wish I had taken more photographs or video but I was just too busy having the time of my life, my face was so bloody sore from all the smiling.
Once on the Ring of Beara some of the roads become small single lane tracks with grass growing in the centre of the road and a lot of gravel, it wasn't a problem for the fully loaded SV. The views out to the sea are spectacular, google it and see for yourself.

After some great scenic paths and a full loop on the Ring of Beara it was time to attack the N71 again Northbound, I enjoyed it even more the second time round. There were a lot of coaches on the road now as it was near lunch time so I would recommend exploring this area early. I continued North taking the N69 to Tarbet and crossing the Shannon on a car ferry. By this time I had been on the bike 11 hours and was starting to hurt. I cracked on up the N67 Coast road but picked up the worst cross wind I have ever experienced, one gust almost lifted the front wheel off the ground and I had to dab a foot down to stop me and the bike going down. I jumped into the first B&B that had a vacancies sign in the window (most were full) in a small town called Milltown Malbay and walked into town for some fish and chips.

Good Roads = N71 !!! If you are in Ireland it is a must. R574 and R572, N69 is great fun too but is rubbish when it gets close to towns and villages as the road surface gets crappy.

Camp Site = No camp site but a little B&B on the coast, no idea what it was called and I couldn't get breakfast until 8:30am so I just had the BED option and had haribo and a mars bar for breakfast.

Route = This route doesn't show all the little lanes around the Beara Peninsula as they don't all show up on the map
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msid=203950328137745674585.0004df6a4dc15e9d5f00 7&msa=0&ll=51.98488,-9.821777&spn=1.732175,5.410767
Old 18-06-13, 12:07 PM   #7
Winder

Day 4

Beautiful sunny morning and i'm on my way to The Burren National Park to find the parochial house from Father Ted. I end up doing some dodgy green lanes and sheep tracks for about 90 mins and was about to give up when I turned onto some proper tarmac and there it was right in front of me. I took a few snaps, petted the dog and was on my way again towards Galway.
Large towns and cities are crap at the best of times but Galway is turbo crap, I almost got T boned twice by people on mobile phones and the traffic lights take ten minutes to change. Leaving Galway on the R336 is just as pants until you get past Kinvarra and onto the R340 where the scenery changes and the roads get more windy and fun.
The N59 is a bloody cracking road! It winds through mountain ranges and past stunning lakes, if you nip off the N59 towards the coast you will find some brilliant little villages near the coast, some with only a handful of houses. In Tully Cross the bloke working in the filling station was a biker and he insisted I stayed for a bite to eat and a cup of tea which were free of charge, we chatted bikes and places to visit for half and hour and I was on my way again, but not for long. I stopped off in a place called Cowlaun only a few miles away and sat on an empty beach and gave the missus a quick call and had a pee behind the rocks. Was strange having this beautiful stretch of sand all to myself.
Back on the N59 and another great ride to Newport. From here I decided to cut out some of the Mayo coastline as I had seen a lot of that area from holidays years ago and I wanted to make up time from all my stop offs I had that day. So I headed straight for Ballina then back on the N59 through Sligo and to the campsite in Bundoran .........which had a sign saying no tents! I went and found another B&B @ 30 euros with a full Irish breakfast so not too bad.

Roads = From Gortmore R340,R342,R341 to Clifden. Stunning views of lakes and the coast.
N59 from Clifden to Westport is awesome (although I went off for a bit on the Connemara Loop towards Tully Cross which is also excellent)

Campsite = Changed their minds about tents so stayed in a dive of a B&B that had no tea and coffee facilities in the room and no central heating in the room, breakfast was good though, can't remember it's name and wouldn't recommend to anyone anyway.

Route = https://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msid=203950328137745674585.0004df6b2f2cc8eaf680 9&msa=0&ll=53.592505,-9.931641&spn=1.669336,5.410767
Old 18-06-13, 12:10 PM   #8
Winder

FECK!!!

Old 18-06-13, 12:11 PM   #9
Pricey12

Really enjoying this thread so far. Keep it up
Old 13-08-13, 09:51 AM   #10
Winder

I forgot about this! Too busy working so i can afford to go back! I will have to add my 2 Northern Ireland rides and possibly my ride home through Wales.

Last edited by Winder; 13-08-13 at 09:52 AM.
Winder is offline   Reply With Quote