SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 06-03-14, 07:18 AM   #31
sdellow

Default Re: Warning to all Focus ST Owners!

Sorry to hear about this. I had a 08 RX8 until recently, believe me I understand the stress of things going wrong that simply shouldn't and then costing an arm and a leg to fix. At one point I was told there was zero compression and the car was effectively only worth scrap. Mazda wouldn't help me either.

Let's say worst case scenario as suzukigt380paul suggests - in reality once all that is done you shouldn't have any further engine issue, hopefully for the duration you have the car.
Old 06-03-14, 07:19 AM   #32
Specialone

There is something amiss in the cambelt world, when I bought my golf in 2007 it's said clearly, 60,000 miles for a cambelt change, I then get a letter saying, it's 4 years or 40k, my car had not done 15k at 4 years old, there was no way I was parting with £450 on a 15k mile cambelt, I told vw this and asked why it's changed, I didn't get a very good answer.

I've had dozens of cars over the years with cambelts lasting 80-100k no bother, so what's changed? Cheaper manufacturing that's what.

Oh and Lenny, can chains aren't exempt, didn't you see watchdog regarding BMW's ?

Last edited by Specialone; 06-03-14 at 07:20 AM.
Old 06-03-14, 07:40 AM   #33
suzukigt380paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specialone View Post
There is something amiss in the cambelt world, when I bought my golf in 2007 it's said clearly, 60,000 miles for a cambelt change, I then get a letter saying, it's 4 years or 40k, my car had not done 15k at 4 years old, there was no way I was parting with £450 on a 15k mile cambelt, I told vw this and asked why it's changed, I didn't get a very good answer.

I've had dozens of cars over the years with cambelts lasting 80-100k no bother, so what's changed? Cheaper manufacturing that's what.

Oh and Lenny, can chains aren't exempt, didn't you see watchdog regarding BMW's ?
bmw's problem wasnt that it has a chain its down to the fact that there chain wasnt up to the job,most camchains on car are a duplex chain,bmw's on the effected models is a single row timing chain,the problem on the volvo lump is/or seems to be the tensioner breaking,but that said i would never run a cambelt 100k or ten years,dispite what the manufacture says,every 5 years or 60k would be my preference,or play russian roulette waiting to see if it will last,some people will get away with 100k others arn't as lucky.as to luck i know a idiot who runs a old volvo,in a 140k(may be more) it has missed several cambelt changes and he has never changed the oil,he is either very lucky,or is talking bullsh1t,but just because he has got away with it doesn't mean others will
Old 06-03-14, 07:44 AM   #34
timwilky
Mega Poster

My own policy is 60,000 change. But then again I have run test rigs designed to test the longevity of belts in a past life and have seen failure in simulation of as low as 10,000 and as high as 200,000 miles.

I have in the past rebuilt heads following a piston/valve meeting only to have the engine returned as the piston crown has subsequently failed.

The other thing I tend to do is write in paint the mileage on the belt cover when I change it, that way new owners at least get an indication it has been done. Plus change tensioners/idlers/water pumps etc at the same time. Belt only is a false economy.

This reminds me the van is getting due its second, now where is my locking set.
Old 06-03-14, 07:57 AM   #35
Mauler

Good luck with the news, I hope it's not too expensive

Mauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-14, 12:08 PM   #36
L3nny
Mega Poster

I know chains aren't flawless but you hear a lot fewer horror stories. Sold the Beemer anyway. Got a V6 Auidi TT now
Old 06-03-14, 01:33 PM   #37
Milky Bar Kid

Default Warning to all Focus ST Owners!

Hairdressers car!!!

Anyway, still dreading phone call. I had guessed it was gonna be about £1k if that was the damage. I hope it's no more or I'm stuffed. Had set aside that much for a wood burner - not be getting that now!!!

I hate cars.
Old 06-03-14, 02:29 PM   #38
chris8886
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Bar Kid View Post
I hate cars.

see, tis why you just stick to the bike! :P
Daytona 675: Arrow can (with a baffle that's gone missing in action....), quickshifter, shorty levers, custom paintjob
chris8886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-14, 02:51 PM   #39
Dicky Ticker

Nic,I have a friend who is high up in Fords and I mentioned this last night in discussion.

Can you give me the actual mileage with confirmation that it is genuine and date/name of Ford garage it was serviced at prior to your purchase.

He is in test and development and thinks there might be another contributory factor to the fail as they have tested the belts beyond the service interval
Old 06-03-14, 03:39 PM   #40
Milky Bar Kid

Default Warning to all Focus ST Owners!

Garage has been in touch. I had car in to have aux belts replaced two days before timing belt failure.

Garage only replaced one. The other belts they had were wrong size and didn't replace other belt. This belt failed and took out timing belt. Valves all bent. Head has to be rebuilt.

So a £30 job is now costing me £1700.